Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
doggatas
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David O

All Existing VBK's to TAPE

Post by doggatas »

We are introducing a Tape Library into our backup environment. I wanted it from the outset but I was shutdown - I argued black and blue but someone wanted to be hip and go tape-less. Recent crypto outbreaks scared them and now we have tape. Copies to the cloud are not an option for us.

Now that we have tape I need to reconfigure our storage and create new disk repositories. Before I do this I really need to have a copy of all our backups on tape (new environment only 6 months old, so not that much). Is there anyway using Veeam to tell it to copy all restore points from all jobs to tape?

Windows Agent and file level backup to tape repo?

Regards,
David
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: All Existing VBK's to TAPE

Post by Shestakov »

Hello David,
Basically you just need to create backup to tape job and on Backup Files step click "All" to archive all available backup files.
Thanks!
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

In addition: first of all you need to create simple media pool. Then backup to tape job to that media pool. The easiest way is to add all your backup repositories to the backup to tape job. Keep in mind that only the backup chains which have jobs will be copied to tape. In case you want to copy backup from Disk (imported) node as well you may either map them with new backup jobs or use file to tape job.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts »

It's also worth clarifying that just because you have now added tape, you shouldn't /have/ to reconfigure your storage/repositories - tape jobs will always be a *copy* of disk-based backups, either as-is or synthetically created depending on your configuration choices.