Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Sonicwall AV Definition breaking AppAware Processing

Post by SBarrett847 »

EDIT:- Can a MOD move this to the main B&R forum? I placed it here by mistake.

Just a heads up for other Sonicwall users that might have issues with application aware processing failing.

Sonicwall AV definition - Cloud Id: 56333863 will stop Veeam copying the Guest agent across to the VM during backup and the Job will fail. The Offending file is "VeeamVssHook_X64.dll" and it will show in the Sonicwall logs as "Gateway Anti-Virus Alert: (Cloud Id: 56333863) Agent.FL (Trojan) blocked."

Adding Cloud Id: 56333863 to the "Cloud AV DB Exclusion Settings" under the Gateway Anti-Virus Page, will have you up and running again.

I have a call open with Sonicwall, not sure how likely they are to white-list the affected file.
kubimike
Veteran
Full Name: MikeO

Re: Sonicwall AV Definition breaking AppAware Processing

Post by kubimike »

Can't you just put that traffic across a different interface and uncheck the AV rule in trusted interfaces ? That's what I'd do. I have a lot of sonicwall a that I manage.
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Post by SBarrett847 »

kubimike wrote:Can't you just put that traffic across a different interface and uncheck the AV rule in trusted interfaces ? That's what I'd do. I have a lot of sonicwall a that I manage.
Yep I could do that , even disable the AV completely, but it doesn't seem prudent , now I know that the particular AV signature is bad
kubimike
Veteran
Full Name: MikeO

Post by kubimike »

It may not be prudent, but necessary to scan data going to a Veeam cloud seems like a waste of resources
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird »

Or you have a lot of UTM horse power to waste ;)