Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
paolone
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Creating VSS snapshot Error

Post by paolone »

Hello

I've a problem with Veeam Agent 2 free installed on a windows 10 creators update pc.
I've installed without creators update and works fine (save into a shared folder). I' don't know if creators update make problem but backup doesn't work.
I've this error:

Code: Select all

Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306]. 
Vssadmin list writers I've error in:

Nome autore: 'WMI Writer'
   ID autore: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
   ID istanza autore: {eea6f0ff-1cc9-4c9b-a737-2ff5ba119949}
   Stato: [10] Non riuscito
   Ultimo errore: Timeout

Nome autore: 'IIS Config Writer'
   ID autore: {2a40fd15-dfca-4aa8-a654-1f8c654603f6}
   ID istanza autore: {25bc7ddb-8b1d-429e-9740-575de28fa649}

Nome autore: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
   ID autore: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
   ID istanza autore: {bf7babed-e097-4c57-8966-90626028bed4}
Do you have a suggestion ?

my best regards
Paolone
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Creating VSS snapshot Error

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Paolone,

Do you have any other backup software installed? Any chance you have a pending reboots or update? Thanks.
paolone
Influencer

Post by paolone »

Dear Dima,

no other backup software and no pending reboots.
Rebooted many times.
Disabled sql vss writers without success.

my best regards
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Paolone,

Please log a support case (even with the free edition you get support, but without SLA). You can do that through the UI. Post the case ID here (and the follow-up after that).

Thanks
Mike
paolone
Influencer

Post by paolone »

Thanks very much I'll open case from the software

My best regards
Paolo
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Cool, don't forget to post the case ID and the follow-up here! Much appreciated

Cheers
Mike
paolone
Influencer

SOLVED Re: Creating VSS snapshot Error

Post by paolone » 1 person likes this post

For everyone that has this problem I've solved with uninstall "HP DEVICE MANAGER" and "HP DEVICE ACCESS MANAGER"

I hope that this information will be useful to somebody

Thanks for your support
Paolo
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Paolo,

This is certainly useful! Many thanks for that. But honestly, I am not sure why this is happening. Did you created the support call? I think our engineers can use the logs to try and figure out why the HP software crashes our solution
paolone
Influencer

Post by paolone »

Dear Mike,

I've filled form from the support section of software but email address, that I use regoularly in veeam account, doesn't recognized by the software.
If you want I can send log (where I can find it?)

my best regards
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm, that is strange. Did you follow this procedure? https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Just had this issue:
5/02/2018 8:54:14 a.m. :: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004230f].
Turns out that the Shadow Copy had been turned off for one of the drives. I also noticed that the CBT Driver in Veeam Agent 2.1.0.423 has been turned on again somehow (I turned it off last week as it gives the error "Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume, failing over to MFT analysis based incremental backup".)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I also noticed that the CBT Driver in Veeam Agent 2.1.0.423 has been turned on again somehow
Is this agent managed by backup server or it’s a standalone deployment? Thanks.
sid6point7
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Fertmann

Post by sid6point7 »

I'm also having a similar issue. This is a standalone agent backing up to a USB disk. Agent version 2.1.0.423 installed on Server 2012 R2. Not sure if this matters, I have the agent installed on a VBR physical backup proxy and repository server. I am only using it to backup the C Drive of the server for faster bare metal recovery. It installing the Agent on a VBR server supported? I have open case # 02598693.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, installing the agent on a VBR server is supported. Good that you have a case open. Keep us informed about the outcome.

Cheers
Mike
ehmpeh
Novice

Post by ehmpeh »

Hello Paolo,

did the Veeam Support find a solution for your problem?

I'm having a similar issue with VAW 2.1.0.423 and Win 10 Pro 1709 Clients, where the backup jobs get stuck during the "Creating VSS Snapshot" step and continue indefinitely. The only workaround so far seems to restart the clients, but eventually the problem appears again.

Thanks,
empeh
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Empeh,

Welcome to the forums.

In the case of Paolo, he had issues with HP Device Manager that was installed. But Alex above here had an issue with the recovery partition so it can still be multiple things. So I would suggest to create a support call also so that our engineers can figure out what is going wrong in the logs. Please support the case ID here and the follow-up after working with our support engineers

cheers
Mike
ehmpeh
Novice

Post by ehmpeh »

Hi Mike,

thanks, a support case has been opened with number 02618862.

Regards,
ehmpeh
ehmpeh
Novice

Post by ehmpeh »

Hello everybody,

quoting Veeam Support about the problem in my case:
"I’ve already done the "vssadmin list writers" command last week without a result. The shell seems to be stuck and doesn’t return any output. I tested it on another machine that has not any issues with VAW and got a result immediately."

I guess that it's the main root cause which we should fix for now.
Veeam Agent for Windows triggers basically the same mechanisms via a backup:

[16.02.2018 16:20:28] Info <1be4> Collecting VSS writers metadata.
[16.02.2018 17:20:28] Info <1be4> Initializing VSS subsystem.. Failed.
[16.02.2018 17:20:28] Info <1be4> Collecting VSS info.. Failed.
[16.02.2018 17:20:28] Warning <1be4> Cannot collect VSS info.
[16.02.2018 17:20:28] Warning <1be4> Cannot initialize VSS subsystem.
[16.02.2018 17:20:28] Warning <1be4> Timed out waiting for GatherWriterMetadata() to complete in GetHostInformation().
[16.02.2018 17:20:28] Warning <1be4> VSS error: VSS_S_ASYNC_PENDING. Code:0x42309

Veeam Agent relies completely on Windows VSS components > https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/en-en/ ... s.85).aspx
If something goes wrong there, then Veeam Agent won't be able to collect it too.

In our case, we aren't able to get vssadmin output properly even manually outside Veeam Agent.
I recommend checking this system issue.

Usually, a simple system reboot with initial Windows update installation helps.

If it doesn't, then it's worth to re-check possible MS recommendations on this matter.
Possibly, the ones below are relevant:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -on-window
http://blog.microtom.net/messaging/vssa ... ny-writers
A system reboot on its own didn't help in the long run in my case, because a couple of clients have to be kept turned on if an employee needs it. A workaround for the problem was to restart the COM+ Event System and Volume Shadow Copy services on the clients as described in the Microsoft Support link. But there is no solution on Veeam's side because the agent is not causing the problem.

My recommendation to anyone with the same issue as mine is to create a gpo that restarts both services at least once per day.

Cheers,
ehmpeh
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey ehmpeh,

I kind of disagree with that recommendation to be honest. The thing is, if there is something wrong with VSS and this issue re-occurs, then you might have other problems. It could be sometimes as simple as a writer or provider that is lingering from an older system. The moment you have fixed VSS by restarting those services, it still would be interesting to do an output of the writers and providers and check if there are no unknown or from older software. They might be the ones causing VSS to fail after one or more backups

My 2 cents
Mike
dietoself86
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Clint Waters

Post by dietoself86 »

I have the EXACT same issues as @emmpeh & have been actively working on a case since the beginning of this year. These issues are highly frustrating as we are a paying Veeam Agent customer & the software is completely unusable at this time.
german.espinel
Lurker
Full Name: German Espinel

Post by german.espinel »

I am experiencing the same issue. Could you please provide more information of why veeam is unable to take VSS snapshot while the system is pending for Windows Updates and reboot?
I have also double checked everything as this knowledge base https://www.veeam.com/kb1794.

This is the error I am getting:

[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error    VSSControl: -2147467259 Backup job failed.
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error    Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error    VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f].   at Veeam.Backup.VssProvider.CVssControl.Freeze(Guid jobId, String jobName, Boolean useVssCopyOnlyOption, Boolean isSnapshotWillBeUsed4Index, String diskSpec)
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CViGuestVssFreezer.Freeze(Boolean createPersistentVssSnapshot, IGuestIndexerHelper helper)
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error    VSSControl: -2147467259 Backup job failed.
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error    Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error    VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f]. (System.Exception)
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error       at Veeam.Backup.VssProvider.CVssControl.Freeze(Guid jobId, String jobName, Boolean useVssCopyOnlyOption, Boolean isSnapshotWillBeUsed4Index, String diskSpec)
[25.09.2018 21:23:20] <27> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CViGuestVssFreezer.Freeze(Boolean createPersistentVssSnapshot, IGuestIndexerHelper helper)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Folks,

If you have the issue related to VSS please open a support case from Veeam Agent for Windows Control Panel > Support > Technical Support. Our engineers can easily identify the root cause based on debug logs and help you with the solution. We do provide support for our free users, so please when updating this thread with similar issue include the case ID. Thanks!
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Re: SOLVED Re: Creating VSS snapshot Error

Post by CharlieKPoland » 1 person likes this post

paolone wrote: Jul 25, 2017 7:10 am For everyone that has this problem I've solved with uninstall "HP DEVICE MANAGER" and "HP DEVICE ACCESS MANAGER"

I hope that this information will be useful to somebody
Yes it is VERY useful advice ! I could not solve VSS problems with backups for very long time and today, after deinstallation of "HP DEVICE ACCESS MANAGER" reading this google hit - Veeam just magically started to work before a moment ! :shock: Thanks a lot for hint ! :mrgreen:
Franziska
Lurker
Full Name: Franziska Jachmann

Post by Franziska »

Same problem here.

16.11.2020 20:45:30 :: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004231f].

Using V4.0.1.2169 fresh install on HP Envy with Win 10 Home Edition.
No HP Device Manger installed.

I´ve opened an case with the UI, but neither got a case ID nor any other contact on mail.
This evening I tried second time to open a case. But also did not got a case ID.
(Of course I checked my junk and spam filter)

Any idea, how to get a response?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 519 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Please try to reach out our support team via customer portal or open a support case via phone call (look under "Technical Support Phones").

You may review this KB article to get more information about possible causes and solutions for the error code "0x8004231f".

Thanks!
Franziska
Lurker
Full Name: Franziska Jachmann

Post by Franziska » 1 person likes this post

Error is fixed.

One of the external USB drives was not formatted as NTFS. After re-formatting the backup works correctly.

Thank you for your support.