Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vbruser
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup copy of a backup copy?

Post by vbruser »

The is the setup for one of my jobs i intend to use as a template.

Backup Job 1 - Production VM's backup to a local repository with a nightly RI backup (15 restore points kept) on Site 1
Backup copy job 1 - Copies backups to a repository (45 restore points kept) - on site Site 2
New Backup copy job 2 - Copies backups to a repository - Runs once a month (12 restore points kept) - on Site 2

First is this a good way to keep the last 45 days and then still retain a monthly without breaking the bank on storage and having 12 full backups on disk?

Also, the second backup copy job is trying to pull data from the backup job instead of the 1st backup copy job? Is this normal? Can i force it to get its backups from the existing backup copy since the data is already on the same site and not have it pull data over a wan link from the normal backup job repository?

The 1st backup copy job is set to backup "backup job 1" for objects to process, the 2nd backup copy is set the same way. I do not have an option to set the second copy job to process vm's from a backup copy, only from a backup job. Within the source section of backup copy 2, i specified it should use selected repositories and only selected the one where backup copy job 1 is and not where the primary backup job is.

It is still trying to pull its first full copy from the site 1 and the primary backup job repos instead of the local backup copy job files on site 2.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy of a backup copy?

Post by foggy »

To have backup copy job using another backup copy job as a source, you need to select the VMs from infrastructure and specify the backup repository holding the primary backup copy restore points as the source.
vbruser
Novice

Post by vbruser »

I changed the backup copy job and now included folders from the infrastructure option instead of the job option but it is still pulling vm data from the other sites repository. The initial backup never finished and i canceled midway through because of the time and bandwidth it was taking. Does this have something to do with still trying to pull from the wrong repository? Should i clone the job and start everything over?
vbruser
Novice

Post by vbruser » 1 person likes this post

you are right, i was still getting an error but it was due to the fact that the source and target were the same repository this time.

The copy of the backup copy is now flying..
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

[MERGED] Backup Copy of a Backup Copy?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

We currently have a backup copy sending data to a remote server in another branch, set up as a Repository, which is just a very large internal drive, but after looking at potential security issues (cryptolocker viruses in particular) management now wants USB backups of those backup copies so they can be air-gapped at the other branch.

Is there a way to get the B&R to make a backup copy to a USB drive of the original backup copy?

Veeam B&R --> Backup Copy --> Remote Server --> Backup Copy --> USB Backup Drive attached to Remote Server

In this way we aren't sending the same data twice to the remote server.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Re: Backup Copy of a Backup Copy?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

It seems that I can do this by:

(1) Setting the USB Drive as a Repository.
(2) Create a backup copy job.
(3) Selecting the Object as a VM on an Infrastructure.
(4) Selecting the Destination as the USB Drive repository
(5) Selecting the Source as the backup copy on the remote server's internal repository.

BUT when I do this I get this error message:

"Restore point is located in Backup Copy target repository and cannot be used as a source."
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This seems to be the correct procedure, see above.
xsilverback
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Backup Copy from a Backup Copy

Post by xsilverback »

Hi,

I'm trying to make a backup copy from a backup copy, but there is no option.

We have a few sites separated by km so:

We make backups locally using Backup Job.
We archive backups locally using Backup Copy Job
We archive backups REMOTELY (to HQ) using Backup Copy Job

Now comes the problem:

I want to make a backup copy from the backup copy that copies backups from remote site to HQ, to a drive I have in that server.

So one copy local, one archived local, one archived remote, and one archived remote on a drive.

The problem is I don't want to copy over the wan twice the backups.

Any similar cases or ideas?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi @xsilverback,

moved your post to the existing thread.
Please take a look at the discussions above, might give you a hint how to configure in your case.

Thanks!
xsilverback
Novice

Post by xsilverback »

Hi,

I tried this solution, to select the destination as a source, but Backup Job ignore that and copy from offsite as backup is newer.

Any hint on how to force copy just from destination, and use last restore point available?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just to confirm - you created:

- a backup job 1 that backs up to repository 1
- a backup copy job 1 that selects restore points created by backup job 1 and copies it to repository 2
- a backup copy job 2 that copies backups to repository 3. Backup copy job 2 has VMs from backup job 1 as source objects (added via Virtual Infrastructure option) and repository 2 specified as backup source

Still backup copy job uses backups from repository 1, not repository 2, correct?

Thanks!
Dynamic
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Markus Hartmann

Post by Dynamic »

Hi veremin,

we are having exactly the same issue.
Running Version 11.0.0.8.7.

Waiting for your response :)

Take care
best regards
Markus
Markus Hartmann / VMware Certified Implementation Expert - Data Center Virtualization 2023 / Veeam Certified Architect & Engineer 2024
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Markus,

Can you clarify what backup copy mode you are using? Any chance you have a case ID to share? Thank you!
Dynamic
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Markus Hartmann

Post by Dynamic »

Hi Dima,

we are running the Periodic copy (prunning) mode.
My colleague will open a case for our customer with your support in the next few days - then its possible to take a look in the configuration.

thanks and best regards
Markus
Markus Hartmann / VMware Certified Implementation Expert - Data Center Virtualization 2023 / Veeam Certified Architect & Engineer 2024
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Please do not forget to share the case ID with us. Thanks Markus!
ashmite
Novice

[MERGED] Three Backup Copies

Post by ashmite »

I'm new to Veeam and looking for some advice. I'm trying to set up three backup copies. My situation is this: I have remotes sites with Hyper-V hosts. They backup locally to an SMB NAS and then run a backup copy job to move backups to our central HQ backup repository. This central backup server has two repositories. One is for local HQ VM backups and the other is for all the remote site backup copy jobs.

I have a second backup server for our DR site that is identical to our HQ backup server. I'm planning on using that to copy all backup jobs from HQ to the DR site. Currently, I have that server physically located next to the main server just to make the initial copy work at 10 Gb speeds.

The initial backup copy job from remote to HQ works fine. I've tried to set up a new backup copy job (both immediate and scheduled) to copy existing backups to the DR server, but both just sit there waiting on new restore points. Backup copy jobs have run and created new restore points, but the third backup copy jobs never fire.

What is the best approach to making three copies of a backup: A -> B -> C? Note, I see I can do multiple copy jobs from the main backup job, but I'm trying to avoid A ->B , A -> C since the upload bandwidth at A is very slow.

Also, is it better to have a single Repo or multiple Repos (one at HQ for each remote site)?

Thx!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Please see the answer above. The second BCJ must be "from infrastructure" and the source repository must be the "B" repository in your case.

Best regards,
Hannes
Hindawi
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Post by Hindawi »

Hello vbruser and ashmite,

It is not possible to select the copy backup job directly. But it is possible to select the repository, the (second) copy job searches for backup data.
  • Start the New Backup Copy Job wizard
  • Here it is required to use Periodic copy (pruning) Copy mode!
  • On next step, press Add… → From backups...
  • select the job you want to copy second time.
  • It is important to do so, otherwise, selected source repository (next step) will be ignored!
  • Press Source… and select the repository, the first copy job uses as target. This is the repository this copy job will read backups from.
Reference: https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-p ... py-job-348

Best Regards,
Moustafa Hindawi
ashmite
Novice

Post by ashmite »

Thanks for the feedback. I tried Hindawi's procedure, but I'm still not getting any new restore points. I manually ran the remote site backup which worked fine, and the first backup copy ran fine, but it never finds that new restore point to copy the the third repo.

I will say, I am a little confused by this line:
* select the job you want to copy second time.
Hindawi
Enthusiast

Post by Hindawi »

I will say, I am a little confused by this line:
* select the job you want to copy second time.
after select periodic mode and click next, Press "Add" and select "From backups" and select your First backup job not backup copy job, then select from Source where the First backup copy job store the backup files on.

Step by step: https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-p ... py-job-348
ashmite
Novice

Post by ashmite »

Well, that is what I thought, and what I did, but still nothing is happening.

Apologies, but I'm unable to upload screen captures. Perhaps that is a limitation for new users.
ashmite
Novice

Post by ashmite »

OK, some additional information:

This apparently works with "Virtual Machine" backups, but it is not working with "Windows Computer" backups, which is what I have been trying. I just tried with a VM Backup and it worked.

Any thoughts on how to make it work for my physical servers?

Thx!
Hindawi
Enthusiast

Post by Hindawi »

Hi ashmite,
Would you please specify backup copy mode which do you use? And backing up physical machine via agent in standalone mode or managed mode?
ashmite
Novice

Post by ashmite »

I'm using Periodic Mode and the hosts have Agents. They are in Managed mode as far as I can tell. There is nothing showing under Unmanaged.
Hindawi
Enthusiast

Post by Hindawi »

I'm using Periodic Mode and the hosts have Agents. They are in Managed mode as far as I can tell. There is nothing showing under Unmanaged.
Ok list check the below points:
  • A backup copy job does not copy a restore point if its data block size differs from the data block size of restore points that the job has already copied to the target backup repository. To copy restore points with the changed block size, you need to create active full backups. For details, see Change Storage Optimization Settings for Backup Copy Job.
    For example, if you have changed the block size for restore points in the source backup job (the Storage optimization option in the Storage Settings), Veeam Backup & Replication will not copy newly created restore points and will display the Restore point is located in backup file with different block size message.
  • Veeam Backup & Replication does not copy incomplete restore points.
  • Veeam Backup & Replication does not copy restore points that are locked by the backup transformation process (merge, transform).
Regards,
Hindawi
ashmite
Novice

Post by ashmite »

Hindawi,

I really appreciate your assistance!

I am not doing any of these things or they don't apply (No incomplete RPs, no locked RPs). This is very plain install with the default settings (for the most part). I tried to run an Active Full Backup and that doesn't work either.