Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Shayandes
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Shayan De Silva

Veeam B&R in Disaster Recovery

Post by Shayandes »

Hi,

We have a physical Veeam Backup and Replication server running 9.5. The setup consists of 3 HyperV hosts (Windows 2012 R2) in a Failover cluster. There are 2 HyperV hosts (Windows 2012 R2) in a failover cluster in the DR location connected with a 100Mbps MPLS link. Veeam replication is setup to Replicate VMs to the DR site each night.
If we were to assume everything on the production environment is down, we have to assume that the Veeam physical server will not be accessible. Hence, how do we failover the VMs from the Replica? I have been doing some research and found this article. https://www.veeam.com/blog/physical-vir ... ation.html according to this, We could potentially use Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE to protect the VM. In this scenario, should I install this on the Veeam backup and replication physical server and then backup the server on to a Cluster shared volume on DR HyperV cluster? Then during a DR will it be possible to instant recover to a HyperV VM? How can I do it?

What folders on the Veeam B&R crucial for the failover? Is Replica Metadata folder required for the failover?

Regards,
Shayan
Veeam Case ID: 02178019
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam B&R in Disaster Recovery

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the commmunity!
We could potentially use Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE to protect the VM
Could you please clarify which VM are you going to protect with Agent for Windows? Or did you mean to say "physical machine" instead?
In this scenario, should I install this on the Veeam backup and replication physical server and then backup the server on to a Cluster shared volume on DR HyperV cluster
You can do that. In order to restore VBR server you'll have to use Recovery Media and perform a BMR either into a new VM, or into a physical machine. There are two more ways to protect VBR server for DR:

1. Use configuration backup
2. Place production VBR server on the DR site so if any thing happens with production site, backup server will be on DR ready to initiate DR activities

Thanks
syedhaider
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Syed Haider Imam

Post by syedhaider »

Hi. I have a question for similar scenario. If someone is using Veeam B&R server as a physical machine on Production site and he wants to replicate his Veeam B&R server to DR site, what options he has for it? Can he use Veeam Agent for Windows for that purpose, i.e. backup his B&R server physical machine and then restore it to his DR site physical machine where he wants to run Veeam B&R server? What can he do to ensure Veeam B&R server on DR site works fine?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Syed, in addition to what you've described, you still can use configuration backup to protect your Veeam B&R. You will be able to install a fresh instance of Veeam B&R and restore configuration backup to it. There's also another existing thread discussing similar scenarios.