Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Opening a VeeamZIP *.vbk file locally (error) ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

this time I want to discuss a strange phenomena I already had several times. If I open VBR 9.5 and select 'FILES' on the left pane, I can browse to local files on our VBR Server and select a *.vbk backup made with VeeamZIP.

Then I get the following error ...

'Cannot open file from the remote host. Copy it locally or to a shared Folder first.'

Well, I browsed our VBR Server locally by selecting the VBR Server itself and opening drive D: and the subdirectories, where the *.vbk file is located. I selected the *.vbk file, right clicked on it and selected Open.

Double clicking the *.vbk file from outside VBR works and open the *.vbk VeeamZIP backup without a Problem.

Is that a known bug?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Opening a VeeamZIP *.vbk file locally (error) ...

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Didi7,

Unfortunately, we know nothing about this behavior (except it does not look like expected). If possible, please submit a case to our support team and share the case Id in this thread. Thanks in advance.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

the same behavior also happens with Veeam B&R Free Edition v9.5 U3. Opening a *.vbk file within VBR 9.5 Free Edition results in an error message ...

'Cannot open file from the remote host. Copy it locally or to a shared folder first.'

Remember, the file is already local! Try it yourself guys!

Opening the *.vbk file from Windows Explorer successfully open the *.vbk and presents the restore options.

Best regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you opened a case for this? Basically, the assumption is that it still tries to download the file to the temp folder, despite the fact it is already stored on this PC. Is there enough space on the disk where Veeam temp files are stored? Anyway, we will investigate, since in this particular case download is not required, the file is already stored locally.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

No, I haven't.

Regards,
Didi7
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This was confirmed as an issue that should be addressed in one of the following updates. Thanks for the heads up.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,
Didi7