Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hasayeretFMG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rotem Ben

Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstation

Post by hasayeretFMG »

Hi guys,

I'm getting "Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller" when I'm installing the console on my computer.
In fact, I was able to install it on my computer but when I'm trying to log into the remote server, it asks me to install update 2 and that's the message I am getting.
I'm trying to run the installation as an administrator.

Thoughts?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstatio

Post by Dima P. »

Hi hasayeretFMG,

Googling gives the following article as a resolution of this issue. Can you try the steps described below?
Im not sure why but the admin account didn't have ownership of the program files File. this was causing a problem when installing the SQL Server 2008 R2. Here are the steps that ultimately fixed my issue:
1. Change UAC settings to NEVER NOTIFY
2. Reboot
3. Take Ownership of the Program Files with the admin accoun: Right click Program File --> Properties --> Security Tab --> Advanced --> Owner TAB --> Edit --> Check "Replace owner on subcontainers & Objects"
5. Reboot
6. Add Full control permission to the admin account to Program File
7. Reboot
hasayeretFMG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rotem Ben

Post by hasayeretFMG »

Dima P. wrote:Hi hasayeretFMG,

Googling gives the following article as a resolution of this issue. Can you try the steps described below?
]
I'm not installing SQL server though... I just want to get the Veeam console on my computer so I won't have to remote to the server each time i'll need help... is it still necessary?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do your backup console and backup server use the same product build? Thanks.
sjameel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sharif Jameel

Post by sjameel »

Did anyone find a solution for this issue? I'm experiencing the exact same symptom. I went so far as to do the following...

Disabled UAC
Create a Local Admin account on the workstation (instead of using domain admin)
Provide full-control explicit permissions to the Veeam program folders
Provide full-control explicit permissions to HKLM\Software reg keys for Veeam
Disabled all AV programs

Ran the update both from the server and downloaded it directly from Veeam and still get the same error: "Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller"
I also tried kicking off the update file from an admin command prompt and got the error.
Used 7zip to break out the .exe file into it's components and ran the executable HFWizard from within - same error.

What's weird is that the error comes up instantaneously when you click to install - like there's no processing attempted at all by the system.
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT »

This error is almost certainly an issue with the Local Security Policy (configured locally or via GPO)

Veeam published this article (https://www.veeam.com/kb2465) which hints at the problem, but the specific fix regarding permissions for 'Debug Programs' for me didn't work. I have a domain wide group policy, which sets various permissions under Computer > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Polices > User Rights Assignment > ...

Something set in my GPO was preventing the upgrade, so rather than troubleshoot "trial and error" style to determine which specific permission was breaking this, I simply blocked the GPO from applying to my backup server temporarily, rebooted (to ensure the local policy was being applied - not the GPO), then ran the upgrade, then unblocked it after and rebooted again to have the GPO take effect.

Hope this helps.