Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Escambray
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Escambray

Writer Thread was terminated

Post by Escambray »

Hi,

This morning i have this problem:

"Volume D: has 2 problems. Details: Writer thread was terminated. Full backup: BatchBackupObjectsToTape failed Writer thread was terminated. Writer thread was terminated".

What does it mean?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Writer Thread was terminated

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Escambray,

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this error. Please go to Control Panel > Support > Technical Support and submit an issue to our technical support team (it’s free).
sasilik
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

Post by sasilik »

Same error happened with our VEEAM, 9.5 with update 2. After restarting jobs again they work for now. Its first time it happened when using VEEAM to write files to tape. About 3 months for now. Opened a case and submitted logs and going to wait what support says.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Markko,

Thanks for the update (and clarification that this issue is related to tape support). If possible, please share the case ID for future reference. Cheers!
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

Case #02276554 . But so far there isn't anything conclusive, maybe something to do with storage.
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

As its not directly Veeam problem the case is going to be closed but I hope that maybe there should be options for retrying if there is some error reading file. I had another case where one tape job terminated with error - Failed to open file <file name>] for reading. Unable to read file block.
And entire tape job was terminated. Is there possibilty to create options to configure number of retries for example. If there is some temporary network error and file can' t be read then tape job tries N times and if there is still error then logs error and file name and goes to next file and tries to continue. And it does not terminate entire job with first error which may not be even fatal.
Capissen38
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Vance

Post by Capissen38 »

Hey sasilik, I know this is an older thread, but I'm running into the exact same message when trying to automatically kick off tape jobs. When I run them manually, all is well. Did you learn any more about what causes this issue, even if it's not a Veeam-specific problem? Any info would be really helpful, thanks!
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

There was some problem on NAS side. VEEAM got error message that it can't connect to NAS and terminated the job right away. And as tape jobs don't have any retry options then this is kind of bother. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.