Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StuartW_D
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stuart Wepener

Self Service Portal

Post by StuartW_D »

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else here has ever implemented a Self Service Portal other than Backup Enterprise Manager?

I'm not saying this product is not great, but it does not quite fit with what I want to achieve. In our environment we have an Asset Management system, which has owners etc. I thought if something could bridge between asset management and veeam management. That is to show the Owner the list of servers he/she owns and you can simply tick boxes of what kind of backups you want and then script those changes to update veeam. I was also hoping such a portal could calculate the cost of each servers back and even estimate what it will cost.

I know I can always build my own website and database to do this. Sadly although I understand powershell quite well and understand the basics of programming, my skills in web development is terrible. Was wondering if anyone has found a product that does this or done something similar.

This will help me offload administration of our backups completely and limit it to troubleshooting and maybe reporting.

Regards,
Stuart
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Self Service Portal

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stuart,

Not sure if this what you're looking for, but we have a product for service providers > Veeam Availability Console, which provides a web-based multi-tenant portal when providing Veeam backup as a service to your clients.

Thanks!
StuartW_D
Influencer

Post by StuartW_D »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks, that does look quite interesting I really want to get my hands on it to see how it would fit with us. Is there any sort of Beta that I can get my hands on?

When is the intended Release aimed for? I realize that you cannot specifiy as per company policy, but do you know if they aiming by the end of the year, next year? Like the general idea so I know if I am waiting short term or long term.

Kind Regards,
Stuart Wepener
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Stuart,
StuartW_D wrote: Is there any sort of Beta that I can get my hands on?
Yes, sure. Please apply to Cloud & Service Providers forum group to get access to the forum section dedicated Veeam Availability Console RC version.
StuartW_D wrote:When is the intended Release aimed for? I realize that you cannot specifiy as per company policy, but do you know if they aiming by the end of the year, next year? Like the general idea so I know if I am waiting short term or long term.
It should become generally available in Q3 this year.
StuartW_D
Influencer

Post by StuartW_D »

Hi Vitaliy,

How do I go about getting into that Group. I applied, however I think I was denied, but I have no messages indicating what happened etc.

Kind Regards,
Stuart
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To access the VCSP private forums you need to be registered as a service provider. Approval/denial depends on your company status within Veeam database.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

I have the same challenge like Stuart wrote in his initial post. I want to have a self service portal with more functions then the Enterprise Manager has. As I understood right, the Veeam Availability console (for Enterprise) is usable only together with Cloud connect, is that correct? We don't use Cloud connect and we don't have a centralized backup architecture. All Branch offices do have their own Veeam Backup&Replication server and Veeam components, which they manage by themselfs. But I want to have a (central) selfservice portal for different use cases.
Is there a roadmap to use the Availability console for these cases as well or is it planned for Cloud connect only? Or does anyone have created a similiar selfservice portal for such a use case?

thx,
sandsturm
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi sandsturm,
sandsturm wrote:As I understood right, the Veeam Availability console (for Enterprise) is usable only together with Cloud connect, is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. VAC is relying on the connection established to the remote site via cloud gateway servers (secured connection).
sandsturm wrote:We don't use Cloud connect and we don't have a centralized backup architecture. All Branch offices do have their own Veeam Backup&Replication server and Veeam components, which they manage by themselfs. But I want to have a (central) selfservice portal for different use cases.
How do you reach out to these sites? Do you have a VPN connection established to every branch?
sandsturm wrote: Is there a roadmap to use the Availability console for these cases as well or is it planned for Cloud connect only? Or does anyone have created a similiar selfservice portal for such a use case?
I would be able to answer this question, if you could shed some light on the features (TOP 3) you're currently missing from the Enterprise Manager. Maybe these are already planned for our next updates.

Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

Hi Vitaly

Thank you for your answer.
How do you reach out to these sites? Do you have a VPN connection established to every branch?
Yes, all our branch offices are connected with VPN connections.

The main reason, why I want to use a self service portal is the lack of a RBAC (Role based access model) within Veeam Backup console. I want to be able to give a group of admins only permissions on a subset of all configured backupjobs. For example: The MSSQL guys must be able to manage only the backup jobs for the MSSQL servers, they must not see or be able to modify other backup jobs. Same for the Exchange admins and so on.

Thx,
sandsturm
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for sharing! Many smaller service providers do not use Cloud Connect for storing cloud backups and VM replicas, but they treat Cloud Connect infrastructure as an integral free part of VAC. If you didn't have any VPN connection, then Cloud Connect tunnels might have been a replacement for that (for Veeam purposes only). Anyway, thanks for giving us a bit more info on your setup.