Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mdmd
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

Full backup to Tape - One off

Post by mdmd »

Hi all,

We want to archive all our File servers on a 4 year retention as a one off backup. (we create one every summer)

The backup job its creating this from is an incremental backup with 60 restore points.

Is there anyway of getting a Full backup these servers with no incremental on the tape disks. I cant see the option and its seems you cant run jobs directly from Production to Tape.

(i see in the full backup options i can select a month, so if i select first Tuesday and only select august (today), would that give me a full of live data as of the last backup, last night?)

Thanks

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Full backup to Tape - One off

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Mike,

To calrfiy, you are refering to backup to tape where source file is your file server backup? Thanks.
mdmd
Enthusiast

Post by mdmd »

Hi Dima,

Sorry i should have said more.

We have 8 file servers(VMs) on VMWare that are backed up with incremental backups in veeam and and retained for 60 days. We would like these server to have a one off backup to tape (no incremental with them) Currently we do this with symantec but our license has expired and would like to retire the legacy BExec server.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Mike,

You can create a simple backup to tape job with this backup jobs selected as a source. Select full backup only and run it once. As a result you get a pack of tapes with desired full backups and you can store them for 4 years (you can set retention on the media pool).

- Create a tape server and connect your tape device
- Create a simple media pool and add free some tapes
- Create a backup to tape job (or create a file to tape job and backup the .vbk files)
- Run it once
mdmd
Enthusiast

Post by mdmd »

Hi Dima,

Sorry to bring up the old thread but ive had chance to get round trying what you suggested which is did,

I created a backup job to tape to a simple media pool. I didn't turn on incremental backups and ran the job once.

The File server job probably total 4Tbs in total(without incrementals). However this job has used 7 x 1.5 TB tapes. (10TBs) (and has 2 restore points on it, one Full from 92 days ago, one full from 5 days ago)

Cant see what im doing wrong

Thanks

Mike
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What product version are you using? Also, what answer did you choose when prompted with backup chain selection screen? Thanks.
mdmd
Enthusiast

Post by mdmd »

Hi Dima,

Using B & R 9.5.0.1038.

I chose to backup our "file Servers" VMware Backup.

I didnt get a prompt for backup chain like in the article. It just adds the job and in the lower right hand corners says Full : 4.46 TB and Incremental 4.14TB
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If there are more than one backup chains produced by source backup job, during backup to tape job creation you should receive the said notification message.

If that does not happen and as the result of misbheaviour two backup chains (instead of one) get archived, kindly, reach our support team.

Thanks.
mdmd
Enthusiast

Post by mdmd »

Logged a case. Thanks 8)
Encrypted1024
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Webb

Post by Encrypted1024 »

The two ways to ensure that you get a full backup to tape is either switch to reverse incremental for your disk backups, or create a backup copy job, then run a tape job from the backup copy job. Running a tape job against your incrementals has the risk of copying the incrementals to tape.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

If you de-select the "backup incremental restore points" checkbox Veeam will never backup incrementals to tape, if it does you should open a support case because that is definitely not expected behavior.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

By the way, did you enable process latest full backup chain only option?