Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
wizard-ict
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Jackson

Cannot connect VM to the target network after upgrade

Post by wizard-ict »

Hi
I've just upgrade from v7 to v8 and having a few issues since the upgrade. We have a number of Hyper-V Backup and Replication jobs that completed successfully before the update. We have updated the Veeam server and all components and installed all the latest updates (Windows and Veeam).

The Hyper-V replication jobs now complete, however always with the warning "Cannot connect VM to the target network". We had this previously with v7 but enabling Network Remapping solved the issue (even though the network name is identical at both sides). Remapping is still enabled, I have tried disabling it, recreating it but always with the same error. Some the jobs use Application Aware processing, but not all.

I wondered if this was because the jobs were created prior to the update, so I tried creating a new replication job going between the same hosts. The job fails with an rpc error. Since the job uses exactly the same settings and servers as the existing jobs this makes no sense to me (the firewalls are already configured to allow all traffic between both hosts and Veeam server). This job does not use Application Aware as it's only a test.

Any suggestions on either issues?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Cannot connect VM to the target network after upgrade

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Mark,
All jobs should work fine after the update. What version have you updated on? v8 update3?
I`d suggest contacting technical support team, since the behavior is unexpected and logs should be reviewed.
Thanks!
wizard-ict
Novice

Post by wizard-ict »

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't realised update 3 was available, I'm currently using 2b, I will try updating later and see if it helps.

I've stood up another VM with a clean install of Veeam V8. Replication works (to some extent) without the "Cannot connect VM to the target network" error, so it must be related to the upgrade.. Given that I'm only looking at 10 jobs my intention is to migrate the jobs to the new server. If nothing else it'll give me a chance to clean things up a bit.

The RPC error still persists, but strangely only in 1 direction (i.e. I can replicate A to B but not B to A). I need to investigate this further and may start a new post if I can't resolve it.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

The RPC problem is usually caused by antivirus software and/or firewall. Have you updated anything else besides VBR?
As I said, VBR updates themselves, shouldn`t cause any issues. Re-creating the jobs may help, but I would contact the support instead.
Thanks!
wizard-ict
Novice

Post by wizard-ict »

I always try my best to solve issues myself (or with the help of a community) before passing them to support, particularly in cases like this where the backup/replication is still technically working. I guess it gives me a sense of achievement and a better understanding of the product.

Nothing else has been updated and there's no AV on the Veeam Server or hosts, so I think we can rule that out.

There is a firewall but I've created a rule to allow all traffic between the Veeam Server and both HV hosts in both directions (i.e. all 3 can talk to any of the other two). I am still open to the idea the firewalls may be the issue, but as it stands I can't do much more than that without more specific information on the problem.

I've turned off Application Aware for the sake of testing.

The issue seems very strange, here's what I've found so far:

Both Site A and B backup successfully.
Site A can replicate to Site B
Site B can not replicate to Site A (rpc error)

Is there any way (or does anyone know) I can identify which of the components we are looking for the RPC error on? If I can identify if it's the source or destination at least I know where to look. The logs don't really seem to identify which server the error is on, but the one way replication would suggest it's 1 specific host causing the issue.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Mark, can you please make sure that all the involved hosts are reachable by their NetBIOS names from the Veeam B&R server?
wizard-ict
Novice

Post by wizard-ict »

foggy wrote:Mark, can you please make sure that all the involved hosts are reachable by their NetBIOS names from the Veeam B&R server?
Where were you earlier? You could have saved me a LOT of time!

The hosts were reachable by FQDN but not NetBIOS name, as these are WAN links NetBIOS isn't something we would normally set up or expect to use. I've added hosts entries on the VBR server and replication is now working, thank you!

Strange how this wasn't required in v7, however as it's only a couple of hosts entries I can live with it if it works.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Replica mechanisms differ between v7 and v8, where snapshot replica is used that requires NetBIOS names.
wizard-ict
Novice

Post by wizard-ict »

That makes sense. Thanks once again for the help and explanation.
dmmiag
Novice
Full Name: Diego Mármol Martínez

[MERGED] "Cannot connect VM to the target network"

Post by dmmiag »

Hi! I'm performing several replicas from my main datacenter Hyper-V cluster to the DR site cluster. In most of the cases, everything is working fine but there are several jobs getting a warning from some VMs:

"Cannot connect VM to the target network (NETWORK_NAME)"

There is another topic with a similar error on this forum but the difference is taht I haven`t updated my system and I can resolve NetBIOS names of the affected VMs from my VBR server:

I'm working with version 9.5.0.711 version.

Thank you!!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Diego , are you able to connect VMs to the required networks manually? Is there anything common between VMs that fail to connect?
dmmiag
Novice

Post by dmmiag »

Hi Vitaliy! Yes, I can connect manually the VM to the required network. On the other hand, I can't find any commom feature between involved VMs and not shared with the non-involved VMs...

In fact, I had previously jobs configured with the same VMs with no error, but I deleted those jobs and created new ones because the old jobs was configured with a host as target and not with the cluster. In those "new" jobs now I have VMs with and without the warning.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What error messages do you have in the Windows Event log when this issue happens? These events should contain additional info on the reason of the failure.
dmmiag
Novice

Post by dmmiag »

Hi Vitaly, I can't find any additional info on Evet Viewer as the info is the same I get from Veeam backup console:

Code: Select all

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Veeam MP" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">150</EventID> 
  <Level>3</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-15T02:09:01.000000000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>15227</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Veeam Backup</Channel> 
  <Computer>XXXXXXXXXX</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>2c30a5c8-3eab-4d44-9aee-73d4c307298d</Data> 
  <Data>0a7c5964-669d-45c6-b731-56568fca75d0</Data> 
  <Data>1</Data> 
  <Data>83b54194-ef89-40e5-ae49-8557b61bd6bd</Data> 
  <Data>4715d650-6536-4d78-b3d1-a109b4cfd7c0</Data> 
  <Data>4715d650-6536-4d78-b3d1-a109b4cfd7c0</Data> 
  <Data>09/14/2017 22:42:49</Data> 
  <Data>3</Data> 
  <Data>AAAAAAA, BBBBBB, CCCCCCC</Data> 
  <Data>CLUSTER_NAME</Data> 
  <Data>a6114ee2-defd-4e6f-b9dd-e79a5fc1b38a</Data> 
  <Data>YYYYYYY</Data> 
  <Data>0.229</Data> 
  <Data>1</Data> 
  <Data>False</Data> 
  <Data /> 
  <Data /> 
  <Data /> 
  <Data>1</Data> 
  <Data>VM YYYYYYYY task has finished with 'Warning' state. Task details: Cannot connect VM to the target network (NETWORK_NAME)</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Diego, I recommend contacting support for assistance with this.