Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcp33
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike parker

Reducing the Size of Backups

Post by mcp33 »

Hi

Our primary use of Veeam is to backup Exchange Server and so far so good. If I exclude the C: (Database and logs on E: F:) then go into Restore Application items/Exchange (Veeam Explorer) I don't see any Mailbox Stores, is this normal ?
To get round this I just add the database and Logs ( I have to do this for each database). My question is , it is better to backup C or does it not matter ?

Second question or feature is that I only want to back up the Exchange database and logs not the VM itself is there an option to do this ?

Thanks for your input

Mike
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Reducing the Size of Backups

Post by foggy »

mcp33 wrote:If I exclude the C: (Database and logs on E: F:) then go into Restore Application items/Exchange (Veeam Explorer) I don't see any Mailbox Stores, is this normal ?
Yes, this is expected, since we cannot find out where the databases are located not having the registry file (which is on disc C:) in backup.
mcp33 wrote:Second question or feature is that I only want to back up the Exchange database and logs not the VM itself is there an option to do this ?
No, Veeam B&R is an image-level solution. You could backup the required files only using Veeam Agent for Windows, though.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

is there an option to do this ?
Try to use File exclusions/inclusions. It might take much more time to process though.

Thanks
mcp33
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike parker

Post by mcp33 »

foggy wrote:No, Veeam B&R is an image-level solution. You could backup the required files only using Veeam Agent for Windows, though.
Ok this makes sense , still even without the C Drive in Place I still have my backups and can restore as normal. I will check out the Windows Agent

Thanks

Mike