Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
daniel_crane
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Smith

Feature request: Support for OCFS2 or similar cluster FS

Post by daniel_crane »

I have an NFS cluster in VMWare which allows me to do maintenance and reboots without affecting the shares themselves. These use a mutli-writer disk for the shared folders since we don't need duplication of the shared data itself and we are using an ocfs2 (Oracle Cluster File System) as it supports shared access of the disks. I am able to do backups of the OS of the cluster servers in VB&R, but not the shared data as it can't be snapshot. After trying the Linux client, I learned that it can not even read the data on an ocfs2 partition to do a backup either.

Is this system anywhere on the roadmap?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Feature request: Support for OCFS2 or similar cluster FS

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forums!

Currently no plans to support it in the upcoming version.

To be sure you have the agent installed on all the nodes? Or are you trying to do the backps from 1 system (as we can't and won't be able to do remote snapshots)?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

The Veeam Agent for Linux is still an image based backup tool. Because of that it can't currently backup clustered disks, especially true multi-writer clusters, since, if it took a local snapshot on one node, that system would have no idea what blocks are changing on the other node.

I'm hopeful that the NAS backup in the upcoming v10 might be an answer for you here since it will allow backup of SMB/NFS data.
daniel_crane
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Smith

Post by daniel_crane »

Sorry for the delay, we are in Houston, TX and it has been a bit crazy here the last few weeks.

To vmniels:
I have tried both in VB&R and by client and according to support it won't work. I haven't tried installing the Linux client on both nodes, but I'm not sure how that would change the outcome.

To tsightler:
My limited understanding is that the file system is designed to work around differences from each node by logging changes made so that any active node can complete a transaction if a node were to go offline. Obviously it is not that simple with snapshots or VMWare would likely support it as well. I'll look out for v10 and see if that will provide a way to backup this system.

For now, I have had to go back to a single NFS server with an ext4 partition. This means it will be an act of god to schedule a reboot or any downtime, but such is life. Thanks for the info!

ralyon