Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Auto select proxy not selecting Veeam Server 9.5

Post by aich365 »

Case 02304443
We have 21 jobs across 55 servers with 121 disks.
We have a main Veeam Server which is connected via iSCSI to the Repository. This Server also acts as proxy01
A 2nd proxy server has been added to spread the load.
Proxy Selection is set to Auto on all jobs and in Infrastructure all Proxies are set to Auto selection
Jobs are queuing (waiting resources) to use Proxy02 but never use Proxy01 for backup although it is used for guest interaction proxy.
If another proxy is added (proxy03) Autoselection works and the load is shared across proxy02 and proxy03.

I have disabled, deleted and uninstalled the proxies from the Veeam server. I have then used Control panel to remove the Veeam transport software.
Proxies have been re-added. On proxy02 this auto installed Transport for Proxy01 on Veeam Server I had to manually install from packages folder.

This has made no difference.
We are running Veeam 9.5 update2

is there a registry setting that will force the use of the main Veaam Server as a backup proxy?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Auto select proxy not selecting Veeam Server 9.5

Post by foggy »

Hi Clive, is Veeam B&R server also a VM? I suspect it is not capable of hotadd (allows only network mode), so the second (virtual) proxy is always preferred.
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Re: Auto select proxy not selecting Veeam Server 9.5

Post by aich365 »

Hi Foggy
Support have advised that jobs will queue waiting for hot-add rather than use network mode.
Proxy01 is indeed a physical box so cannot run hot-add.
We have created another proxy on a VM to spread the load.

Thanks for your response