Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
manouche
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christopher Adams

Skipping bad blocks / Free Veeam Backup and Replication

Post by manouche »

I am querying this forum to see if a suggestion for Veeam Endpoint will also work for Free Veeam Backup and Replication

I have a Hyper-V VM that was on a host with a hard drive issue. The drive was replaced and the RAID rebuilt. The VM had been running fine. However, I can't back it up, as it reports trouble reading the disk. All other VMs can be backed up somehow, or exported, etc.

I have tried a variety of strategies to fix the bad blocks, but to no avail. I recently found this in the Veeam forum. I wonder if it works for Free Veeam Backup and Replication. I just need a way to get this VM saved so that I could move or restore it if needed. Some data loss would be acceptable if I could restore to a running VM.

"We have an experimental 'skip bad blocks' feature that you may want to try. Create the SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 1 registry value under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup and re run the backup, then it should backup the volume passing by the corrupted blocks (files residing these blocks might be corrupted). Kindly, keep in mind that this does not solve the problem with bad blocks on your disk – it just allows creating a backup bypassing corrupted blocks."
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Skipping bad blocks / Free Veeam Backup and Replication

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The feature you're referring to belongs to Veeam Agent for Windows. I suggest you to try installing VAW 2.0 inside the VM and perform the backup. Another option would be to install VAW onto the Hyper-V host and choose the VM's files to backup.

Thank you