CRC Error

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

CRC Error

Veeam Logoby jcpro » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:07 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi,

My backups haven't been completing successfully for a few days now and I've been getting some errors that indicate a CRC error. I have run chkdsk against all volumes and not found any issues. I have run vssadmin list shadows /for=c: and cannot even find the "HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13" that it is referring to. How can I troubleshoot this?

Code: Select all
18/07/2016 10:12:55 AM :: Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13]. The block at offset 89308266496 (length 1048576) is corrupt. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13]. The block at offset 89308266496 (length 1048576) is corrupt. Unable to ret
jcpro
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Re: CRC Error?

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi jcpro,

Unfortunately, it means you have some bad blocks on your source disk.

We have an experimental 'skip bad blocks' feature that you may want to try. Create the SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 1 registry value under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup and re run the backup, then it should backup the volume passing by the corrupted blocks (files residing these blocks might be corrupted). Kindly, keep in mind that this does not solve the problem with bad blocks on your disk – it just allows creating a backup bypassing corrupted blocks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 421 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby jcpro » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Is there any way to identify which source disk it's referring to? HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13 isn't exactly descriptive and I can't find any reference to that when I list all Shadow Copies.
Also, how is Veeam able to identify a bad block but chkdsk reports all is well?
jcpro
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:02 am

The error you got should be next to the line mentioning the specific volume being backed up. Check disk at some point may miss corrupted blocks, while VEB actually reads entire volume during backup, thus recognize the corruption.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

[MERGED] A problem with backup

Veeam Logoby amoiseev » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello everyone

We have a problem with backing up a Windows Server 2008.

We can normally backup drives E and D, but if we try to backup drive C, we have the following error.
 Error: Datenfehler (CRC-Prüfung). Error code: 23 Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy55]. The block at offset 210180751360 (length 1048576) is corrupt. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Datenfehler (CRC-Prüfung). Error code: 23 Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy55]. The block at offset 210180751360 (length 1048576) is corrupt. Una

The server is configured to use RAID 5 for all 3 logical drives, therefore, I assume that there is no corruption on the physical level.
amoiseev
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Anton Moiseev

Re: CRC Error

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Anton,

Looks like you have a bad block allocated somewhere on volume C. You still can backup this volume using the regkey solution provided above but I’d strongly recommend you to check the said hard drive integrity.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Bruce » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi Dima,

Dima P. wrote:Hi jcpro,

Unfortunately, it means you have some bad blocks on your source disk.

We have an experimental 'skip bad blocks' feature that you may want to try. Create the SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 1 registry value under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup and re run the backup, then it should backup the volume passing by the corrupted blocks (files residing these blocks might be corrupted). Kindly, keep in mind that this does not solve the problem with bad blocks on your disk – it just allows creating a backup bypassing corrupted blocks.

Would the use of the SkipBadBlocks registry entry in any way detract from the accuracy of the backup? In other words, could I use the backup file to overwrite the bad blocks during restore or would the restore simply reproduce the original problem?

Thank you
Bruce
Lurker

Full Name: Bruce Bodger

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:32 pm

If you plan to restore to the same faulty disk (hardware problem), then "skip bad blocks" option will not help. Also, since bad blocks that are skipped might contain some data, it will not be possible to perform restore without data loss.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1089 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] The request could not be performed, corrupt block

Veeam Logoby dadrianto » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:19 am

Hi All,

does anyone in this forum have facing error like this?

Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy7]. The block at offset 42991616 (length 1048576) is corrupt. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy7]. The block at offset 42

i have installed some notebook and perform entire backup, but one of the machine have error.
i already re-install veeam endpoint, but the issue still occurs.

anyone please tell me how to solve this error?

thanks,
dadrianto
dadrianto
Novice

Full Name: Danang

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:54 am

dadrianto,

This is not something we can resolve - error code shows that your hard disk has some bad block which we cannot backup. As stated above we can skip bad blocks via specific kegkey but that would not solve the issue with your hardware.

Create the SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 1 registry value under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup and re run the backup, then it should backup the volume passing by the corrupted blocks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dadrianto » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 am

Hii Dima P,

I have created the DWORD Registry, the backup job running normaly until the error occurs "Error: ChannelError: ConnectionAborted"
is the error occurs cause the instability network connection ?
dadrianto
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Danang,

Need to check the application logs. Check with the support team please.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dadrianto » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:02 am

Hi Dima,

Create the SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 1 registry value under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup and re run the backup, then it should backup the volume passing by the corrupted blocks.

I try your solution on two notebook, one notebook can backed up successful with warning "One or more bad blocks were detected and skipped."
thanks Dima
dadrianto
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 am

Danang,

You are welcome. Keep in mind that this workaround does not solve the hardware issue, it just allows to skip the corrupted blocks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby techgirl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:26 pm

I also have this error.
2017-02-19 1:25:42 AM :: Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy195]. The block at offset 9293529088 (length 1048576) is corrupt. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy195]. The block at offset 9293529088 (length 1048576) is corrupt. Unable to ret

This error refers to the source (computer), right, and not the target backup device?

I wanted to back up my documents before running checkdisk in case checkdisk mangled anything. I created a new folder on the NAS and changed backup from "Entire Computer" to "File Level" and selected the 2 /Program File/ folders, /Program Data/ and /Users/ - this backed up OK.

Windows 10 - I ran Windows checkdisk which reported no errors, then defrag and checkdisk again which again found no issues.
QNAP 2 disks (mirror RAID) - SMART info is all good for both, I am currently in the process of running complete test on those disks nonetheless

After running checkdisk, I tried "Entire Computer" again, with the same CRC error. So something in the Windows system files is corrupt?

Is the error text accurate [truly bad/corrupt] or can it be something else (NAS is 'low' on space currently, my C; is 200GB, NAS had 466GB) or a permission error? Since the error references VolumeShadowCopy195 - if I make Windows delete that numbered shadowcopy or some or all other restore points, could that fix it? Does to have to do with space alotted to restore points? Is Veaam absolutely only reading in there or causing any writes in there?

Is there another utility you may suggest that could confirm bad blocks since Windows itself isn't detecting any issue ?
techgirl
Novice

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows