CRC Error

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: CRC Error

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sat May 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Martin,

Bad block issue refers to the problem with your hard drive. If you restored to the same drive – it is expected. Kindly, check your hard disk with check disk (full scan), at some point third party tools, mentioned in this thread, are better in terms of bad block detection.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 435 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: CRC Error

Veeam Logoby majones » Sat May 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi Dima. I've done some experimenting and I think there is a problem with "bad blocks skipped" messaging. In my case, it correctly appeared for my original disk and I managed to make a complete backup using "SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 1" in the registry. I then restored this backup to a new disk that had no bad blocks, and confirmed that backups from the new disk ran fine with "SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 0" (as I would expect). But if I left "SkipBadBlocks (DWORD) = 1" then I got the "bad blocks skipped" message, which must be a carry-over from the first disk affected by bad blocks but isn't appropriate for the new disk. In fact, I wasted quite a bit of time testing the new disk for bad blocks because of this message. I appreciate that you would want to flag in some way a restoration from a backup with skipped blocks, but not with a message that indicates that the new disk onto which the backup was restored itself had bad blocks. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread, but I haven't seen discussion of the SkipBadBlocks functionality anywhere else.
majones
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows