Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Honk
Novice
Liked: never

Monitoring Hardware & Alarms

Post by Honk »

Hello!

I am testing Veeam Monitor Free Edition. I have a VMware ESXi 4.1 installed on a HP Server, snmp is activated and configured. I can see the hardware status and I am curious, if there is a way to activate alarms for hardware failure, like a broken Raid-Array, too high temperatures, broken fans etc. I went through all defined alarms but was not able to find anything matching.
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Monitoring Hardware & Alarms

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Veeam Monitor has a pre-defined alarm called "Host hardware sensor status changed" that is automatically fired off when you have issues with Fan/High temperatures etc., is this what you've been trying to find?

Thank you!
Honk
Novice

Post by Honk »

Well, I tested that one as well, but it keeps sending alerts like every 15-20 Minutes, though the hardware is fine and problem isn't really explained well in the mail. I thought about specific alerts like for overheat (cpu), broken raid array or fans.
Thanks for your help!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you checked the Hardware sensor tab on the ESX(i) host node? Do all of the sensors look healthy?
Honk
Novice

Post by Honk »

Ah alright, it was the second missing power supply unit. HP SIM didn't list it as an error.
Thanks again ^^
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sure thing, if the second power supply is missing (has an unknown state), you may want to remove that trigger from the alarm configurations.
Honk
Novice

Post by Honk »

Well, the second power supply unit is just removed for testing purposes. But is it possible to remove the alarm for a specific hardware and leave the rest as it is?
It looks like I'd need to get the full version of Veeam Monitor since cause and resolution aren't available.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Honk wrote:But is it possible to remove the alarm for a specific hardware and leave the rest as it is?
Currently there is no workaround for this, we are planning to add this functionality in our next product release.
monderick
Novice

Post by monderick »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Currently there is no workaround for this, we are planning to add this functionality in our next product release.
Will this also include the ability to isolate specific VM's from configured alarms such as "heartbeat is missing for VM"?
A few of our VM's do not support VMtools and we'd like to exempt these (along with powered off VM's) from triggering the alarm.

thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The functionality you describe is available in the current release. You can exclude any object from alarming by navigating to this Virtual Object (VM) within a Virtual Infrastructure tree on the left pane then choose "Alarms tab -> Defined Alarms -> Exclude". Hope it helps!
monderick
Novice

Post by monderick »

Vitaliy S. wrote:The functionality you describe is available in the current release. You can exclude any object from alarming by navigating to this Virtual Object (VM) within a Virtual Infrastructure tree on the left pane then choose "Alarms tab -> Defined Alarms -> Exclude". Hope it helps!
perfect, thanks!
Greg S.
Novice
Full Name: Greg S.

Post by Greg S. »

Vitaliy S. wrote:The functionality you describe is available in the current release. You can exclude any object from alarming by navigating to this Virtual Object (VM) within a Virtual Infrastructure tree on the left pane then choose "Alarms tab -> Defined Alarms -> Exclude". Hope it helps!
I was going to post this question, but upon a search of the forum I found this. I just wanted to say THANK YOU! This worked perfectly!