Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bulletlynn
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Restore of Server 2016 with ReFS drive - unable to see drive

Post by bulletlynn » 1 person likes this post

We have a Server 2016 Veeam 9.5 U2 server with ReFS x64 backup repository and we are backing up a Server 2016 file server with a ReFS D: drive.

When we do a restore whether it be a Guest File or a Instant VM recovery it does not see the D: drive. It sees the C: drive which is NTFS no problem.

Now what is interesting is if we create a new backup job or do a VeeamZip we are able to restore from the Full backup but once we do an incremental backup we are unable to see the D: drive again. During an incremental backup job it sees and backs up data on that D: drive.

Not sure if anyone has started moving any of their production servers to ReFS drives yet but this has me a bit concerned. I will probably be migrating the customers data back to a NTFS drive this weekend.

Veeam has escalated the ticket. Case number: 02314772
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore of Server 2016 with ReFS drive - unable to see d

Post by foggy »

Hi Nick, the behavior indeed seems odd, I can see that your case has been escalated and is being thoroughly investigated, so let's see what our engineers could find. Thanks for sharing with the community anyway.
bulletlynn
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Post by bulletlynn »

After working with support we found if we disable CBT in Veeam we are able to see the ReFS D: drive on a restore.

In VMware we reset CBT on the VM and then enabled CBT in Veeam but the issue comes up again after running a full and then an incremental.

Still investigating.
eeup
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arnaud Blondel

Post by eeup »

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but we are experiencing exactly the same behavior.

One of our new file servers has a NTFS C: drive, and a ReFS D: drive ; I had to perform a restore for the first time, and I noticed that it does not see the d: drive.

Do you have any new information about this case ?

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Make sure both your backup console and the mount server specified in the backup repository properties both support ReFS version that the VM in question is using.

In practice, this means you really want them to be running Windows Server 2016 or "Windows 10 Pro for Workstations" (the only two OS that support ReFS 3.1), otherwise file level recovery from ReFS volumes on Windows Server 2016 VMs will not be possible.

Thanks!
lorenzoacler
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lorenzo Acler

Re: Restore of Server 2016 with ReFS drive - unable to see drive

Post by lorenzoacler »

Hi there, i have the same issue on a new small customer enviroment, both backup server and backed up file server with refs volume are running windows server 2016 standard and updated. File level restore doesn’t show refs volume and if i browse by folder i can see the volume link but if i try to open it i receive an unknown file system error. Backup server isn’t using refs repositories at the moment, do i need to create one to let veeam b&r become aware of refs? 🙂 thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

No, creating ReFS repositories is not required. To be able to recognize these volumes your backup server and mount server should be using the OS that supports ReFS. Here is a bit more info on this.

What is your target repository and the configured mount server?
lukasholzknecht
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times

Post by lukasholzknecht »

Hi Gostev, Hi Vitaliy,
sorry for hijacking this thread again, but we're experiencing the same issue.
Fileserver with OS Windows Server 2016, C: (NTFS) and D: (ReFS).
Backupserver with OS Windows Server 2016, we're using a Qnap NAS as Backup repository, Veeam B&R 9.5 U4.
Restore of Full-Backup shows up all the partitions while Restore of an incremental Backup (Guest Files or instant vm recovery) shows up "unable to mount volume from backup to the mount server" on the partition with ReFS.

Any news about this issue?

Best regards,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Lukash. There are no known issues in this functionality. Did you read the post just before yours? What is the OS on the mount server associated with your backup repository? Thanks!
lukasholzknecht
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times

Post by lukasholzknecht »

Hi Gostev,
Backupserver is an all-in-one-installation, all Veeam components are running on the same machine with Windows Server 2016.

BR
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, then please open a support case to investigate.