Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MauroMonaco
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mauro Boffa

prevent restore operator to read emails during restore

Post by MauroMonaco »

Case # 02326498

Hello, I'm using Veeam Backup 9.5 (evaluation) to backup exchange. During a restore operation the operator can open and read any message and the attachments.
This puts the data confidentiality at risk; in my ideal scenario he could view the message without opening it.
Is there a way to prevent this issue?

Thanks for any suggestion.
Mauro
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: prevent restore operator to read emails during restore

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mauro,

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, this behavior is expected since backup administrators or restore operators have direct access to the data they are restoring. Consider your post noted as a feature request.
MauroMonaco
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mauro Boffa

Post by MauroMonaco »

Hello Dima,
thanks for your answer. You are right, this it a feature request, sorry.
I also use another backup product that works in the way I descibed before: the operator has full access to the data but he only can restore the item (no double click is possible on it) to the user mailbox or to a PST file.
Obviously he can restore the message to a pst and open it using outlook but the procedure is more hardworking and if performed voluntarily, it may be considered a violation of the privacy with intention, not a simply inadvertence.
I think that this feature could be interesting.
Regards
Mauro
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

Count me as well for this Feature Request. Those kind of features will be important in the Future because of EU regulations.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

This is often something which some customers see a bit negative. On the other hand there are countless other possibilities for an admin to get access to email content.
I would welcome a more robust logging capability which would log such actions unchangeable to the database. Then any compliance or privacy policies could be more easily achieved.