Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spencer_rrs
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Spencer Coplin

Minimum hardware for VBR on-site

Post by spencer_rrs »

I'm looking at VBR on-site for clients that only have workstations or have a single existing small server. I'm checking that I'm not missing anything in the below setup.

I am thinking about putting refurbished Dell Workstations (OPTIPLEX 790 - DELL i5 3.1-8GB Ram -1TB HDD - W10 Pro) with a PCI usb 3 card and an external USB 3 HDD. I could install VBR, have the local hdd split to OS (50gb) and Data (950gb), set the Data partition as my repository destination, install VAW on the workstation itself to backup OS volume to external drive.

Can I have the data repository duplicate itself to a folder on the external drive? The goal is to be able to replace the server with a like unit if it dies without having to re-setup things from scratch.

The clients would then have the option of local only backups or also have it point to our VCC (Azure) and send backups there as well.

We would have RMM on the workstation, so we can monitor health, services, etc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Minimum hardware for VBR on-site

Post by foggy »

Hi Spencer, I'm not sure you will be ok in terms of RAM, please check the system requirements section.
spencer_rrs wrote:Can I have the data repository duplicate itself to a folder on the external drive?
No, you will have to use backup copy jobs for that.
spencer_rrs
Service Provider

Post by spencer_rrs »

Thank you for your reply!
foggy wrote:Hi Spencer, I'm not sure you will be ok in terms of RAM, please check the system requirements section.
So it looks like I can bump the ram to 16 or 32gb and be more in line with requirements. I'm not looking to backup 20 computers, just be able to price something reasonable for a 1-5 workstation/1 server shop to get backups going.
foggy wrote: No, you will have to use backup copy jobs for that.
From what I know so far, this means that after a rebuild/restore of the server (after hardware failure), I would be able to run a copy job of those backups back to the local hdd data repository, then resume backups or would new full/incremental backups be created?
So what my question is aiming for finding out, is if I have 600gb of backup data and it's copied to the external drive, then I have my server die, I recreate it, I re-add the external drive as a repository and run a copy job to move those backups back to my main (now recreated) repository, then run backups, does new fulls get created, essentially taking up another large amount of space or does it run incremental, recognizing now that it already had fulls of those agents?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can copy the offline copy of your backups back to the re-created repository, map you existing jobs to them and continue them running normally.
spencer_rrs
Service Provider

Post by spencer_rrs »

Thanks Foggy