Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Duplicate tapes

Post by ober72 »

Hi Folks,

This might be a very silly question but I have never had this experience before. Our tape supplier by accident sent out duplicates of tapes that had already been use in Veeam. Then to make matters worse these tapes got mixed in with the real tapes when being sent offsite. So now I have 3 duplicate empty tapes mixed in with tapes with data.

Can I load these tapes to check to see which ones have data without affecting the Veeam db? To be more precise I need to find the empty tapes and send them back, so I will load tape A for example and if this is the one with Veeam tape data then fine and I can send back the empty duplicate Tape A to the supplier.

But what if I load the Empty Tape A? Could this potentially wipe the setting in the DB for what files were on the full Tape A?

My guess is that even if that happened if I then removed the Tape and loaded the Tape A with data it would add it back.

Again a bit of a Tape newbie here :)

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Duplicate tapes

Post by veremin »

You should be fine with inserting and inventorying tapes one by one. You should stop, whenever a necessary one with veeam data on it is found. Thanks.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Re: Duplicate tapes

Post by ober72 »

Ok thanks Vladimir

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend