Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nixoidas
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Mantas

Replicas migration to another repository

Post by nixoidas »

Hello,

I have seen posts regarding movement of Replicas Metadata. That is clear. I have been struggling for a while with trying to relocate-migrate replicas folders (hard disk imgae file, AVHD files, fodlers snapshots, virtual machines, ide disks, ect). I would like to know how to move these folders (vm_replica) to another repository. We added new repository so we could format the old one. All backup jobs, backup copy jobs were migrated successfully.

What I did. I tried to migrate replicas as any other regular backup job. I moved folders of replicas I mentioned earlier to another repository. Rescanned both repositories. In replica settings I chose another repository, for "destination", even tried "picking path" for vitual disks... Still, when I run replica job, even though veeam shows status "Inc", it still creates another hard disk image file with another AVHD file. Also, worth mentioning, but it is not important, when I change replica metadata location, another foldeer is created with .vbk file. Not like it should be - in the same folder.

Please help me. I am workig with Veeam for quite a while, but never migrated replicas to another location.
nixoidas
Service Provider

Re: Replicas migration to another repository

Post by nixoidas »

By the way, almost forgot, when I chose another repository in replica settings, I got warning message something like this "Only newly added vm's will be affected". If I understand it correctly, this means that I cannot move existing backups of replica job to another location? I need to create new replia job and start everything from scrath. We have many replica jobs containing hundres of TB...

All I want is replica job to keep running like before only in new repository.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you tried to map the replication job to existing replica VM? Basically, if you just change the VM files location and the VM itself is still correctly registered on the host, the job will continue normally after mapping.
nixoidas
Service Provider

Post by nixoidas »

Replica mapping is not an option for me.

I would like to share what helped to solve this problem. In Huper-V manager I migrated (moved) VM to the new datastore (veeam repository). VM did not need to be reregistered and replica job runs smoothly now. I noticed one minor problem, in replica job's settings I did not change destination, it still shows old repository. However, replica job runs without problems. If I try to change destination, again "Only newly added vm's will be affected" :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

By repository, are you referring to repository where replica metadata is stored or the folder where replica VM disks are stored?
nixoidas
Service Provider

Post by nixoidas »

Yes, I am reffering to folder where VM disks are stored. I finally understood that I should have used VM Migrate option in veeam to migrate replicas to another repository.
mog54
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Change replica storage

Post by mog54 »

hello,

i got an hyperv 2016 without cluster, and originaly replica of VM were stored localy on hyperv (D:\) i ran out of space on this partion so i want to move another partition (E:\) wich is a isci lun on nas.

i edited job but thats not work.
i copy paste the D:\replica folder to e:\replica folder, thats change nothing
i tried to move VM for hyperv manager but after moving vm the folder on e:\replicat is not the same as the d:\replica

So i asking myself if i'm doing right or not

someone to help me ? :)
thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community,

Please check this thread first, and feel free to ask additional questions.

Thanks