Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

File to Tape Library Details

Post by B.F. »

In order to try and limit what tapes are used for each day, I've created a media pool for each work day of the week. Friday would then be the full backup. If I create a File to Tape job for each day to match the media pool, how do I handle the full backup in each of the job settings? Do I set them all to the same day, time, and media pool? Do I just need to configure the full in only one of the jobs? With this type of setup, would the backup chains all be independent of each other?

I've set it up this way to try and have a similar setup we have in our Backup Exec. Having just one job pointing to a bunch of incremental tapes in a pool makes it hard to control and know what tapes were just used by the backup software the night before.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File to Tape Library Details

Post by Dima P. »

Hi B.F.
If I create a File to Tape job for each day to match the media pool, how do I handle the full backup in each of the job settings?
Is it possible Instead of file to tape job to use a backup to tape job? Last is capable of creating the synthetic full backup on tape for the set day from incremental backup on disk.
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Re: File to Tape Library Details

Post by B.F. »

100% of our current tape restores are for files that were discovered as deleted weeks later. We have no need to backup the VM to tape for archival. We just need a simple quick way to pull Tape X to restore a file or 2. Hence why I'm trying to get File to Tape to work and not Backup to Tape

Now it looks like SQL Express won't be able to handle this task (tape-f29/recovery-from-tape-needs-major ... ml#p243774)

Very disappointing.