pigletjuggler
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dan Martin

Rotating Media Treatment

Post by pigletjuggler »

Support ID: 02326262

In short:
1. I feel rotating media should be what's actually considered the repo (or a media set) and the method of reaching the media should be configurable; even if it moves physical server.
2. If it's rotating media and will generate a new full if it sees it's empty anyways, who cares if it doesn't have contents when you re-target a job?

Longer description:
I have a client who wants to use rotating USB media as a target for backups. I've used it, it works. That's not the problem. My issue is how VEEAM treats rotating media the same way it treats other repos. If I need to take the media and access it via a different path (but it's removable media, so it shouldn't matter) I should be able to do that. Currently, there's no way to change the path on a rotating media repo and I have to create ANOTHER repo to target it at the new location, then modify the job to point to the new repo. Although that's annoying, it works. However, in my current situation, the client is also changing to larger media, which means I need to physically move the existing media to the new location, create a new repo, retarget the job, then swap in the blank media so it'll populate OR copy the existing data to the new media first. There should be an option to simply change the repo to a new spot OR bypass the existing backup files check when changing repos on a job when dealing with rotating media. It's merely an annoyance, and I can work around it... but yeah, figured I'd voice the annoyance here in case it's a feature someone else might like to see.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Rotating Media Treatment

Post by foggy »

pigletjuggler wrote:Currently, there's no way to change the path on a rotating media repo and I have to create ANOTHER repo to target it at the new location, then modify the job to point to the new repo.
Do you mean just the drive letter change that the device is mounted on on the repository server or some other sort of path change?
pigletjuggler wrote:However, in my current situation, the client is also changing to larger media, which means I need to physically move the existing media to the new location, create a new repo, retarget the job, then swap in the blank media so it'll populate OR copy the existing data to the new media first. There should be an option to simply change the repo to a new spot OR bypass the existing backup files check when changing repos on a job when dealing with rotating media
Actually you can change the repository without copying files to the new one.