Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
netmation
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Albert

Volume = Bare Metal Restore if One Drive?

Post by netmation »

Have a failed Windows system with a single drive for OS and Data, but working good enough to run Veeam, with full backups stored on another drive using Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0. If I put another drive in the system and do a Volume restore to the new drive will that recover everything to simply replace that new drive as the boot drive and main drive of the system. Or do I need to do a Bare Metal restore? In my case will a Volume restore be identical to the results from a Bare Metal restore by booting to the Recovery Media? Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Volume = Bare Metal Restore if One Drive?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Albert,

Bare Metal Recovery should be used when you Operating System is not booting. When OS works fine you can use regular volume level recovery.
netmation
Influencer

Post by netmation »

Can't seem to get Veeam Volume restore to work. This is what I have. All drives are a physical different hard drive with one partition.

C Drive - running Windows and Veeam, want to restore this entire volume to F drive
E Drive - has Veeam backup files
F Drive - new drive that I want to restore volume and replace as my C drive

Running Veeam from the C drive and selecting restore, I only see the option of a C drive come up in the wizard. I have tried all options but nothing seems to work. It never gives me an option to select the F drive. Should this be possible without going into the recovery cd?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Albert,

Open the Customize disk mapping option at Disk Mapping step and if you see the newly attached device there.

netmation
Influencer

Post by netmation »

I do see that but when I right click on the other drives all I see is REMOVE. I don't see the Restore drop down like you do?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Click Remove to delete the exising layout then right click the volume and you will see the Restore option.