Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CCSAD
Novice
Liked: never

Networking question for HotAdd proxies

Post by CCSAD »

Hello all! Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. I will try to make this as brief as possible.

Currently, I backup our VMware infrastructure with a physical Veeam server with Direct SAN mode. This is 10G iSCSI with dedicated switches. This is all with private IP addressing (172.16.x.x). To my understanding, restores go over our production 1G data network from Veeam (10.10.10.100) to the ESXi server's management IP (10.10.10.2-6)

My Goal: We got a hand-me-down 10G switch from a partner organization and want to use it to add fast HotAdd capabilities for two reasons: faster restores, and VVOL support with a new Nimble Array. According to this thread, Direct SAN backup with VVOL and Nimble isn't possible, correct? veeam-backup-replication-f2/request-vvo ... 37-15.html

My question: What is the best way to network all this to ensure the 10G switches are going to be used for all hotadd functions?

Here is our environment:

[*]Veeam, vCenter, and vSphere ESXi can all talk over our 1G production network (10.10.10.x)
[*]Veeam, SAN and ESXi can all talk over our storage network with separate switches (172.16.x.x)
[*]I added the new 10G switch, connected each ESXi (dedicated NIC) to it, connected Veeam server (dedicated NIC) to it and IPed it all with (192.168.1.x)
[*]Added a new dvSwitch and added the new 10G NICs for each ESXi server
[*]Created new port group on the above dvSwitch and added a new vNIC to each Veeam Proxy to talk to Veeam over 10G (192.168.1.x)
[*]Now each Veeam Proxy VM is dual-homed and can talk to 1G production (10.10.10.x) and 10G (192.168.1.x) direct with Veeam.

I'm not sure if those last two steps were necessary. What do I do to ensure all HotAdd stuff goes over the 10G (192.168.1.x) network? Do the proxies do this over vNICs? Or does ESXi do this over a management network that I need to create instead?

Thanks for the help!
CCSAD
Novice

Re: Networking question for HotAdd proxies

Post by CCSAD »

Forgot to mention, I created a new Veeam Proxy VM for each ESXi host with Server 2012 R2 Core. Each VM Proxy has two NICs, one on the prod 1G network (10.10.10.x) and one NIC that can talk to the Veeam server over the new 10G switch (192.168.1.x). I should also mention that all IPs are made up, just to make this all simpler to understand.
CCSAD
Novice

Post by CCSAD »

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you looked at the preferred networks functionality in Veeam B&R?