Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Task514
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Tran

Feature request - I/O Station aware

Post by Task514 »

We have a Dell TL4000 tape library configured with (3) I/O stations. We use these I/O stations because it reduces the amount of time required to inventory the tapes that are inserted in these slots.
In normal situation, when we eject a magazine, it would inventory every slot of the corresponding magazine and that's time consuming.

These I/O stations are not recognized by Veeam, so we have to manually open up the tape library's web interface to move the tape from the I/O station to a free slot.

Can we have a future release of Veeam to be aware of these I/O stations and/or be able to control moving the tapes please!

Thanks
Task514
Novice

Re: Feature request - I/O Station aware

Post by Task514 »

Finally found out about tape Import/Export
But it should at least be aware what's in the I/O stations.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your feedback! Currently, to recognize the media in I/O slots you have to perform an inventory on your tape device.
Task514
Novice

Post by Task514 »

Yes, inventory has been done...
What I'm saying is that in the "Tape Infrastructure" there is no listing of the I/O slots...
The tapes in I/O slots appears as "Offline" which is misleading.

I don't know which tape is in the I/O slots until I import the tapes... there is no indication if it is even populated until I import/export the tapes.

I suggest tapes in I/O slots should remain under "Online" and location set as its respective I/O slot.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Task514 wrote:But it should at least be aware what's in the I/O stations.
Does each I/O station have a bar code reader?
dos
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by dos » 1 person likes this post

I have the same Dell (IBM) TL4000 library as well as the HP branded version, the HP MSL4048.

The barcode reader is built into the tape transporter. It reads the barcodes from all 48 slots in the library (4 tape trays/12 slots each). The bottom left tray incorporates three I/O mailbox slots. If the library is configured to use the three I/O mailbox slots then only 9 slots remain in that tray and the library is presented as having 45 slots and 3 I/O mailbox slots. If the I/O mailbox slot feature is disabled then the library presents as having 48 slots. The library is also logically separable into two logical libraries -- I'm not sure of the impact on that to the I/O slots.

The library inventories the I/O mailbox slots when they are re-inserted into the library. The library web interface displays the barcodes of the I/O mailbox slot tapes, or "empty", the same as it does for all other slots.