Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Best way to configure backup jobs

Post by Zew »

OK so things have been going pretty good with Veeam. It's saved my bacon many times. So originally I was creating Backup Jobs for each one of my VM guests on my hypervisors. My initial thoughts were:

1) I have more control over granular recovery, such has grabbed the backup files, and their respective deltas, in a rare DR case. As well as more granular control on when to use application aware processing, etc. Since these settings are managed per job, not per VM in a job. etc etc

2) Then since I heard that VM backup files could be stored seperately, this allowed me to better group VMs based on requirements (application aware processing, etc)

Then people informed me that my style was a bit old school and I should use folders, I guess VM folders on the hypervisor. I'll have to admit I've been one to simply use the default folder that comes with vSphere, and I do need to do some clean up work there.

So What is the best way to go here?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Best way to configure backup jobs

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Feel free to stick to your current approach, if it works fine for you. Container approach (such as selecting source based on folders, tags, resource pools, etc.) might be a solution for those with highly dynamic environments with VMs being created, deleted or moved between hosts regularly. Thanks.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Thanks for the quick reply, and good feedback. thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Zew wrote:As well as more granular control on when to use application aware processing, etc. Since these settings are managed per job, not per VM in a job. etc etc
They can be managed per VM in the job with the help of AAIP exclusions, just FYI.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Thanks Alex helpful as always. :)