Best way to configure backup jobs

VMware specific discussions

Best way to configure backup jobs

Veeam Logoby Zew » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:45 pm

OK so things have been going pretty good with Veeam. It's saved my bacon many times. So originally I was creating Backup Jobs for each one of my VM guests on my hypervisors. My initial thoughts were:

1) I have more control over granular recovery, such has grabbed the backup files, and their respective deltas, in a rare DR case. As well as more granular control on when to use application aware processing, etc. Since these settings are managed per job, not per VM in a job. etc etc

2) Then since I heard that VM backup files could be stored seperately, this allowed me to better group VMs based on requirements (application aware processing, etc)

Then people informed me that my style was a bit old school and I should use folders, I guess VM folders on the hypervisor. I'll have to admit I've been one to simply use the default folder that comes with vSphere, and I do need to do some clean up work there.

So What is the best way to go here?
Zew
Expert

Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Re: Best way to configure backup jobs

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 pm 1 person likes this post

Feel free to stick to your current approach, if it works fine for you. Container approach (such as selecting source based on folders, tags, resource pools, etc.) might be a solution for those with highly dynamic environments with VMs being created, deleted or moved between hosts regularly. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Zew » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, and good feedback. thanks!
Zew
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:36 pm 1 person likes this post

Zew wrote:As well as more granular control on when to use application aware processing, etc. Since these settings are managed per job, not per VM in a job. etc etc

They can be managed per VM in the job with the help of AAIP exclusions, just FYI.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Zew » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks Alex helpful as always. :)
Zew
Expert

Return to VMware vSphere