Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Sand
Influencer
Liked: never

Application Item Restore from Cloud Repository

Post by Sand »

Hi

We cannot restore single application items (exchange, AD, SQL) from an agent backup located on a cloud repository - the opiton "restore application items" is greyed out.
Restore guest files works.

In veeam cloud connect guide the point "Application items restore" has no further explaination nor is it a hyperlink as the others.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Are there any limitaions regarding app items restore for agents on cloud repositorys?

Thanks
jameskilbynet
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: James Kilby

Re: Application Item Restore from Cloud Repository

Post by jameskilbynet »

I am also having this issue. Trying to work out if its a design limitation or if I'm missing something
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Try to run a file level recovery via B&R console, then find the desired database, right click it and you should see the corresponding Explorer option
Sand
Influencer

Post by Sand »

Hi

There is no such option when I open the "restore guest files" browser. In fact, the whole restore option is greyed out (but I think this is a known limitaion when restoring agent cloud backups from a B&R Server). I can only "copy to" the files.

We have a B&R Server, a Cloud Connect Server and a Veeam Agent. The agent previously backed up to a local repository on the B&R Server. Now we changed the target of the Agent to Cloud Connect. The Agent Backup files (now stored on the cloud repo) appear on the B&R Server, and this is where I start the restore session from.

When starting the restore from the Agent side I have no option either - but I think the agent does not have an exchange explorer so this is expected.

Or did you mean restoring the database file and then opening this file with the exchange explorer?

Will there be an application item restore option in yesterday launched Veeam Availability Console?

Thanks
Sand
Influencer

Post by Sand »

Hi

So, is there a way to restore Application Items (Exchange, AD, SQL) from Agent Backups made to a Cloud Repository?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sand,
When starting the restore from the Agent side I have no option either - but I think the agent does not have an exchange explorer so this is expected.
True, Agent does not have Explorers with it, try to start File Level Recovery via Backup and Replication console instead (your backup server should be connected with service provider repository used by agent).
Sand
Influencer

Post by Sand »

Hi Dima

I am not looking for file level recovery, I am looking for application item recovery.
I can start guest file restore via backup and Replication console,but I can not start application items restore via backup an replication console.
I also cannot start appliaction items restore from inside the file level recovery (when choosing the sql database for example).

What is the correct way to restore application items (exchange/sql/active directory) from agent backups made to a cloud repository?

Thanks
jwarper
Service Provider
Full Name: Joe W

Post by jwarper »

According to the Veeam Agent documentation, you will go through the same process as performing the application restore from the Veeam B&R console. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I am referring to Veeam B&R. Please try this - open Veeam B&R Console, find the desired backup file and start File Level Restore. Once you the backup browser is opened click Application Item Recovery in the ribbon of the backup browser.

Sand
Influencer

Post by Sand »

Hi

This button is inactive as well, so it is not possible for me to restore application items this way.
Also, in the future we will point the agents directly to the cloud connect so there will be no B&R Console where the agent backups are present. Where do we have to start a restore session in this case?

I'm going to open a veeam case now, still any answers here for the public will be appreciated.

Thanks
annhwebster
Service Provider
Full Name: Ann Webster

Post by annhwebster »

This this ever get resolved? I am having the same issue.
Backups to disk have the application item restore available, but to cloud that option is greyed out. Even if I first go to restore guest files the application items button is still grey.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ann.

It should be possible to start the application item recovery from backup browser (via File level restore). Please open a support case if that's not working and let me know how it goes.
o0BackupDude0o
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Oskar Gawron

Post by o0BackupDude0o »

I've checked that and have the same problem. This is unspoken limitation of Agents in my opinion. There is no way to push logs directly to VCC repo and thus You are not able restore SQL DB directly to a precise transaction.
THe backups are application consistent when doing integration but you have to restore mdf,ldf file.
Correct my if I'm wrong.

I would like to reaise a feature request for direct DB restore from agent backups because this is what is mostly used. Whole BMR is not that often.
ALso the limitation pushing logs and no direct restore DBs from Veeam Cloud Connect repo with the classic slider when restoing to transactions. This is often asked and practically needed in production.
Oskar Gawron
Veeam VMCE #VEEAM1475207944136
bmillard
Service Provider
Full Name: Bill Millard

Post by bmillard »

I'm in agreement that this should be in a feature release. We have some customers that are quite small with a single physical server, which we were pushing straight to our CC environment. Luckily I tested this out and verified there was no Application Item restore and went to plan B, which was to have a local B&R installation, then Copy jobs to CC.