Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
joshwinters
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Josh Winters

Oracle db doesn't backup properly after copying dev to test

Post by joshwinters »

Hi all!

I'm attempting to backup an Oracle database after it has been copied from our dev environment to our test environment. Application-aware processing for the test database fails with this error:

Collected redo log does not match any existing database backup: tst
Failed to save redo log backup file for database tst to repository IsFileExists failed 'L:\ORALOGS\DEV\ARC0000003513_0956399704.0001'

To me, it looks like there are still remnants of the dev redo log path in the test database. Why is this? Is there a way I can check for bad redo log references in my test database?

Thanks everyone!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Oracle db doesn't backup properly after copying dev to t

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Would you provide some details on how did you copy the database? Have you just copied the DB and its logs onto another machine and added that machine into a new backup job?

Thanks
lrhazi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mohamed Lrhazi

Post by lrhazi »

I had a similar error after the oracle db been restored from backup... the transaction log job started failing...
I opened a ticket with support and they provided a hotfix. Maybe do the same. HTH
joshwinters
Influencer

Post by joshwinters »

PTide wrote:Would you provide some details on how did you copy the database? Have you just copied the DB and its logs onto another machine and added that machine into a new backup job?
It was a manual process. Created an init file, alter database begin backup, copied dbfs, alter database end backup, alter system archive log current, created a control file and modified to match destination, ran the control file, recovered database using backup controlfile, fixed temp database tablespaces.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

It seems that, for some reason, the redo log backup does not have a Full backup to reference. Have you tried to run the backup job manually with right-click? If that won't help, please contact our support team directly.

Thanks
joshwinters
Influencer

Post by joshwinters »

PTide wrote:It seems that, for some reason, the redo log backup does not have a Full backup to reference. Have you tried to run the backup job manually with right-click? If that won't help, please contact our support team directly.

Thanks
I agree with your suspicion. I have ran active fulls, even went so far as to setup full new jobs with the same result. Unfortunately I've already opened a case with Veeam and they looked around for several weeks at logs and did a WebEx as well with no resolution. I did notice Veeam's Oracle Explorer works really well to restore databases from prod into test, so I'll be trying this next to see if I can resolve the issue.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Would you post your case ID please? There is also an option to escalate the case by pressing "Talk to Manager" button.

Thanks
joshwinters
Influencer

Post by joshwinters »

Case ID: 02377966

I escalated to a manager as requested. Thanks!