Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JTBRAY
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Bray

Relication tresspassing LUNS

Post by JTBRAY »

We are having an issue where luns on our EMC san are being tresspassed while vm's are bing replicated over the wan. Has anyone experienced this and if so what may be causing the issue?
Alexey D.

Re: Relication tresspassing LUNS

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello John,

I'm not sure I can understand your message. What is exactly going on and which is the impact - could you elaborate, please?
nickf
Influencer
Full Name: Nick Ferrar

Post by nickf »

Sounds to me like your ESX/Clariion (assuming it's a Clariion) pathing isn't set up right. What version of ESX, Clariion Flare and Powerpath (if any) are you running and what failover mode is the ESX host registered at on the SAN?
If you do it incorrectly you can cause LUNs to bounce between SPs (trespassing) depending on how the I/O is sent to them. It's not something caused by Veeam but Veeam could appear to trigger it as it will cause a lot of I/O and it's generally only under high I/O load you'll trigger the problem.
JTBRAY
Novice

Post by JTBRAY »

I will check on all that and let you know, thanks for the info.
JTBRAY
Novice

Post by JTBRAY »

Versions are below:

Clariion flare = 04.29.005.006
ESXi 4.1
Powerpath\VE 5.4 SP1
nickf
Influencer
Full Name: Nick Ferrar

Post by nickf »

Strange, PowerPath/VE should be handling it all and preventing LUN/path thrashing. Are the hosts registered using failovermode 4 on the Clariion? Also worth checking that the LUNs on the Clariion aren't configured to be auto-assigned (it should be up to PowerPath to control which SP owns the LUN not the SAN), not sure it would cause what you're seeing though.