Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Ant
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Richardson

Chain rollup for obsolete job [ID# 02430152]

Post by Ant »

Hi, I want to gradually roll up the chain from an old job as it is replace with a new one. I haven't found anything specific for this in the forum, most articles are just how to reverse the chain method and associated problems. The TLDR is can I continue to run the standard daily scheduled job with no VM's, decrease the restore points configured in the job each day and have it gradually roll up the restore points or will this delete / corrupt the existing chain?

or, if you need more info:

Basically I have a single job which I am replacing with 5 more tailored jobs to suit each specific VM. I am decreasing my number of chained backups prior to starting the new ones, so I have enough space for a full backup on the new 5, but I need to keep the old backup restore points. My intention is to reduce the old backup to have one less restore point each day, until I have them all in the new backup jobs. I assume someone has come across this scenario before but I guess I have not used the force enough in my search queries. Perhaps there another way to do this?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Chain rollup for obsolete job [ID# 02430152]

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Create a test job for this.
Exclude the same VMs that you have added to the Job.
I think it will lead to the result you try to achieve.