Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sid6point7
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Fertmann

Configuration Backup Copy Job?

Post by sid6point7 »

Is there a way to create a backup copy job for the configuration backup? I'd like to have the configuration backup in multiple locations. If you can't use a backup copy job, what are my options for getting the configuration backup to a second repository?

Thanks!
ds2
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Rene Keller

Re: Configuration Backup Copy Job?

Post by ds2 » 1 person likes this post

I use a File-Copy-Job for that.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover » 2 people like this post

The file copy job is the best option now, but that's a good idea for a feature.

Sent from the Rickatron mobile phone
sid6point7
Influencer
Full Name: Alex Fertmann

Post by sid6point7 »

@ds2 Thanks for the suggestion! I set it up and I'm good to go. I was starting to go down the powershell path but the file copy job is way easier and a better option.

@Rick.Vanover do I need to file a specific feature request?

Thanks guys!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Nope, as your post itself can be considered as a valid feature request. Thanks.
stephen.loera
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Stephen Loera

Post by stephen.loera »

I just want to second the notion to include multiple locations for the configuration backup. It would also be nice in a CloudConnect environment to have the tenant configuration backup copied to a service provider repository.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The second is already available in version 9.5.
Configuration backup to cloud repository. Added support for performing configuration backups to a cloud repository, except for those backed by a scale-out repository.
kevin.cade
Lurker
Full Name: KC

[MERGED] Disaster Recovery feature request

Post by kevin.cade »

Hi I'm new to Veeam and am documenting our Disaster Recovery procedure wth Veeam. So far it's really easy and impressive as a product. One thing I'm surprised by is that only one repository for backup config can be scheduled to automatically update.

per my case with Veeam:
Also, as there was only the default repository, we added a secondary one and set it up as the default for backing up the configuration file. You also said that you wish to have the option in GUI, to select multiple repository's for backing up the configuration file. It is better if you post this feature request on our forum, because that way, all our developers and our product managers will consider the possibility of implementing it in the future releases, once they see it in the forum and gathers enough traction (more clients want to be implemented as well).

I shouldn't have to setup a batch file or scheduled task to copy the default repository to another in case my backup server/disk/repository gets lost.

Please give me a feature request number so I can track the progress of this request as I'm sure you and other customers would like the product to handle all our backup and disaster recovery requirements without needing extra scripting and scheduling outside your product.

cheers
KC
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Re: Disaster Recovery feature request

Post by hoFFy »

Hi,

I'm not associated with Veeam but I'm asking me why you would like to be able to have the backup config at more than one repository. In a case of a disaster you may be thinking of the backup server itself and the repository have to crash.
The repository itself could be located at another site / building / room which makes it very unusual to go down together with the backup server itself - a case that I haven't heard of so far.
What you can do - and that is the recommended procedure to backup your backup server - install Veeam Agent for Windows on your backup server and choose a third target (only containing the system partition with Veeam on it). Or, but I've never tried that, use another Veeam repository as a target for the VAW job and run a backup copy job with VBR. This way you will have the backup server itself, a repository for the backup of the config, a backup of the backup server and a copy of the backup of the backup server....
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the request. Currently you can use file copy job to sync configuration backup offsite.
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Post by paallergy »

Is there a way to use a File Copy job to copy the Configuration Backup files to a Could Connect repository?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Jonathan, unfortunately not, file copy cannot copy files to cloud.
Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Post by Poweruser »

setting up a normal job would be one way.
much easier would be to have a checkbox in advanced settings which should be the default:
repo to tape job->advanced-> create backup of configuration and write onto tape during backup
its done very quick, does not use much disk space and would be so handy to keep all data together.

important: current job (itself) needs to be included inside this backup so it would be a kind of "bootstrap"
bucoops
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Richard

Post by bucoops »

I have to Agree with Poweruser - including a simple option to append the latest configuration backup to a job seems a rather obvious thing to do.

I guess there would need to be an easy way to access that configuration also built into the recovery method?
Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Post by Poweruser »

veeam itself told, that it is great (yes it is), that each backup file includes all metadata needed to restore.
anyway, the config is so small it doesnt need time or space, so it would be nice to add it to the file (optional) or just create an file next to the machine backup file or machineS backup file (if not one file per job selected).
d.puritscher
Lurker
Full Name: Dominik Puritscher

Post by d.puritscher »

Hi,

as recommended, I am using a file copy job, to copy the configuration backups to a second repository. Problem is, that outdated restore points are not deleted from the second location (the target of the file copy job). So I am asking myself how to avoid infinite growth? Do I have to schedule an OS task that deletes the old files, or is there a way to do this with Veeam?

Kind regards,

Dominik
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Dominik, File Copy job doesn't have retention, so you'd need to control this outside Veeam B&R.
Ayhan-Co
Service Provider
Full Name: Ayhan Dönmez

Post by Ayhan-Co »

Hello

You can use following workaround.
  • Use file copy to move config backup another VM's spesific path
  • You can automate deletion of older config backups which on spesific path by powershell scripts
  • Now, you can send this spesific Path's drive by backup job to another repository or you can use Cloud Connect
But I totally agree with all. There should be a config backup copy or send CC option on Veeam.

Regards
ThierryF
Expert
Liked: 33 times

[MERGED] Backup Copy Job to replicate Veeam Config Backup ?

Post by ThierryF »

Hello Team,

I am setting up Veeam Backup Copy Jobs to replicate my Vmware and Windows agent backups to a
scale-out repository on a DRP location. This is working like a charm.

I would like to also replicate my Veeam Config Backups to the DRP location too but do not
find a direct way to do it ...

Avoiding to start an os-based file copy job or a Backup Agent job that dumps folder storing Config Backups
to the DRP repository, any simple way using native Veeam logic ?

Warm regards,
Keep safe,

Th
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

ThierryF, you can use file copy jobs in the Veeam console to have a backup of your configuration file. Thanks!
adelamora
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adrian De La Mora

Post by adelamora » 1 person likes this post

FileCopy - this is not a complete solution. It will forever add files, but not cleanup old files. It also does not allow copying offsite to VCC. Most SMB clients do not have more than 1 "server room" with all their hardware in that room. This hack cannot really fit into the 3-2-1 practice. At best it is 2-0.

Something like FileMirror would be a better option if that existed. I have not checked, but if this uses up a license, this is an unnecessary cost overhead for backing up a single file.

The only other two solutions I have seen are both rediculous:
A) Install an AGENT on the VBR server and run a job for only the configuration folder. This however eats up an agent license on EVERY client environment, as well as requiring another layer of setup, maintenance, and troubleshooting for every client environment.
B) Somehow set up a tape backup job, requiring an even more complicated layer than option A. This possible eats up license as well since the VBR server was not in any backup previously.

All these options are TERRIBLE solutions for an MSP. Veeam really needs to provide something that incorporates into the rest of their suite. Something as simple as a checkbox on the service provider settings that allows VCSP to keep a copy of the configuration file. It's already pulling all sorts of metadata, it would be nearly trivial to include the configuration file as well.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for your feedback, Adrian! Since we are talking about MSPs, can you please how your recovery strategy looks like? Since all of these clients are small shops, then what kind of configuration data is the most important to you that you would like to back up and restore?
cgsm
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Post by cgsm » 1 person likes this post

I am also interested in a solution to this. I think being able to a secondary destination for the config backup would be great.

I am currently using a robocopy command via a Scheduled Task to simply mirror the configuration backup files since the Veeam File Copy does not allow for setting a retention period or running a script to clean up old files like VM backup jobs).
BostjanUNIJA
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bostjan UNIJA

[MERGED]Configuration backup - 2 repositories

Post by BostjanUNIJA »

Hi!

So in Veeam Backup and replication you have the ability to create a veeam job for a virtual machine into 1 repository, and then with veeam backup copy job into 2nd (some other) repository.
With that approach you are covered that you have backups located in two different locations.

But what about configuration backups?

As far as I can see you have the ability to make configuration backup to ONLY 1 repository.
Is there on a to-do-list for new features that Veeam will enable option saving Veeam configuration backup in two locations?
In current approach if you loose that backup repository 1, you also loose the configuration backup which is bad.

Or do you guys use other approach to store Veeam configuration backup on two locations?

with best regards
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bostjan

We don't have such feature in Veeam.
But you can use File Copy Jobs to copy the configuration backups to another repository.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
BostjanUNIJA
Service Provider

Post by BostjanUNIJA »

Hi.
At the file copy job you can not pick Veeam Backup repository as a source.
Any other workarounds ?
BostjanUNIJA
Service Provider

Post by BostjanUNIJA »

Hi. My Bad. Managed to do it. thanks.
btw it would be more intuative from UI that this option (to save configuration backup in two different backup repositories) would be available in next releases.
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast

Post by ValiantMartian »

So - people are using a "File Copy Job" to back up config backups to a secondary location. Where is the config file(s) located on the Veeam B&R server?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You can see the location in the configuration backup settings. Check the configured backup repository. The configuration backup will be stored on this backup repository in a *.bco file. Each time the configuration backup runs, a new bco file is generated.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast

Post by ValiantMartian »

I see that, but I am unable to pick a backup repository as a source for a file copy job. Do I need to establish a special repository type for the main backup and then do a file copy job with THAT as a source?