CloudMSP
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Veeam MSP

Per-VM Backup Files and Backup Copy Jobs

Post by CloudMSP »

Overview:
Our customers have 1-20 Hyper-V or ESX VM's:

1. Currently we have two chains going for each customer a 24 NIGHTLY restore points and 24 HOURLY Restore Points (12 per day x 2). This is to give us recent hourly backups and a few weeks of nightly.

2. At 10 PM we have a backup copy job that send a nightly restore point them to our cloud connect server which we retains for 7 days.

Question:

We have not been using PER-VM backup files, but after some research they sound like the way to go, the amount of De-duplication we are getting is probably not very much at all between the VM's.

1. Is per VM a better option ?
2. Will we have to reseed the remote backups in order to switch to Per-VM files? This is going to be a major pain.

Please help. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Per-VM Backup Files and Backup Copy Jobs

Post by veremin »

1. Is per VM a better option ?
Depends on goal you're trying to achieve, could you elaborate on your idea of switching to per-VM chain?
2. Will we have to reseed the remote backups in order to switch to Per-VM files? This is going to be a major pain.
Nope, but you will need to create a new full backup in order for the per-VM setting to apply.
CloudMSP
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Veeam MSP

Post by CloudMSP »

1. The goal is more reliable, and better performance chains, less risk of one piece of corruption taking down the entire backup. Is this what Per-VM will provide? On another thread it seemed like per-vm chains were a no brainier.

2. Really, I can get per-vm chains going locally without having to reseed my cloud connect?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

1. The goal is more reliable, and better performance chains, less risk of one piece of corruption taking down the entire backup. Is this what Per-VM will provide?
Correct. Other positive effects are mentioned here. Thanks.
2. Really, I can get per-vm chains going locally without having to reseed my cloud connect?
Correct.
C.Lugmayr
Novice
Liked: never

Post by C.Lugmayr »

Hi,

we have exact the same situation here, we switched local repository to per-VM files, took an Active Full backup - i can see the backup files for each VM on local repository but
on the remote repository i still have per job files. Any idea why?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Per-VM chain is a repository setting, you need to enable it on the backup copy target repository and make an active full.