Per-VM Backup Files and Backup Copy Jobs

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Per-VM Backup Files and Backup Copy Jobs

Veeam Logoby CloudMSP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 am

Overview:
Our customers have 1-20 Hyper-V or ESX VM's:

1. Currently we have two chains going for each customer a 24 NIGHTLY restore points and 24 HOURLY Restore Points (12 per day x 2). This is to give us recent hourly backups and a few weeks of nightly.

2. At 10 PM we have a backup copy job that send a nightly restore point them to our cloud connect server which we retains for 7 days.

Question:

We have not been using PER-VM backup files, but after some research they sound like the way to go, the amount of De-duplication we are getting is probably not very much at all between the VM's.

1. Is per VM a better option ?
2. Will we have to reseed the remote backups in order to switch to Per-VM files? This is going to be a major pain.

Please help. Thanks.
CloudMSP
Influencer

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Veeam MSP

Re: Per-VM Backup Files and Backup Copy Jobs

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm

1. Is per VM a better option ?

Depends on goal you're trying to achieve, could you elaborate on your idea of switching to per-VM chain?

2. Will we have to reseed the remote backups in order to switch to Per-VM files? This is going to be a major pain.

Nope, but you will need to create a new full backup in order for the per-VM setting to apply.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1038 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby CloudMSP » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:57 pm

1. The goal is more reliable, and better performance chains, less risk of one piece of corruption taking down the entire backup. Is this what Per-VM will provide? On another thread it seemed like per-vm chains were a no brainier.

2. Really, I can get per-vm chains going locally without having to reseed my cloud connect?
CloudMSP
Influencer

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Veeam MSP

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm

1. The goal is more reliable, and better performance chains, less risk of one piece of corruption taking down the entire backup. Is this what Per-VM will provide?

Correct. Other positive effects are mentioned here. Thanks.

2. Really, I can get per-vm chains going locally without having to reseed my cloud connect?

Correct.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1038 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication