Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
notsogood
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chase

Offsite restore from an offsite backup

Post by notsogood »

Our Veeam B&R server is at our main site (SITE-A). We have a Veeam Backup Proxy and Backup Copies stored at a remote location (SITE-B). I'm trying to restore a Virtual Disk from one of the backup copies at "SITE-B" to a host at "SITE-B".
My assumption was all the restore traffic would go directly from the "SITE-B" Repository --to the--> "SITE-B" Proxy --to the--> "SITE-B" Host.
What we're actually seeing is from the "SITE-B" Repository --to the--> "SITE-B" Proxy --to the--> "SITE-A" Veeam B&R server --to the-->"SITE-B" Proxy --to the--> "SITE-B" Host

The traffic is going to and from our main site across the WAN, resulting in a much slower Restore process. I might be wrong in thinking the remote proxy would handle the entire process remotely. Is there a better way to achieve my goal without having to license another Veeam server?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Offsite restore from an offsite backup

Post by veremin »

What type of repository is used at site B? Isn't it a CIFS share by any chance? Also, are there any proxy affinity rules in place? Thanks.
notsogood
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chase

Post by notsogood »

Solved.

The repository is an EMC DataDomain. Veeam Support suggested setting the Mount Server for the repository in Veeam B&R. I also realized that the repo's Gateway Server was set to a server at the main site. The issue was fixed as soon as I changed the Gateway Server and the Mount Server to the Proxy/WAN Accelerator at the same site as the repository.

More information for Mount Servers here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I also realized that the repo's Gateway Server was set to a server at the main site.
Yes, that's exactly what I suspected. If all components, including repository, mount and gateway servers, are present in remote office, the traffic will be isolated to it.

Anyway, good to know that you've solved the problem.

Thanks.