Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
lucatabo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: LucaTabo

Backup on RDX - Only the last restore point available

Post by lucatabo »

Good morning all.
We are using Veeam B&R 9.5 to backup a single hyper-v host, which contains two virtual machines.
We are backing it up using a tandberg usb 3.0 RDX drive. We have 12 cartdriges, 6 per week.
I have enabled the option "This repository is backed by rotated hard drives" in the repository.
The number of restore point to keep on disk is set to 14.
The Backup mode is set to Incremental (but also with reverse incremental i have the same problem).
We create an active full backup on the first monday of the month.

When i try to perform a restore, i only see the restore point LESS THAN A DAY AGO, so only the last backup made.

I've spoke with the support team and they told me that I have to IMPORT the backup from the cartdrige before try to perform a restore.
I've tested this behavoir and it works, so now I am sure that i can restore backups from all the cartdriges.

My question is: can you please add a feature to avoid to import the backups from the cartdriges, and make the restore point available directly from the restore wizard?

Thanks and regards
Luca
Tabo
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup on RDX - Only the last restore point available

Post by foggy »

Hi Luca, with rotated drives scenario, you should see all the restore points currently stored on the drive that was the last one the job was backing up to. If your cartridge contains just a single restore point, the behavior you're seeing is expected. Thanks for the feature request though.