Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BLWL
Enthusiast
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Bjorn L

Migrated to new vCenter did not go well

Post by BLWL »

Hi,

Old vcsa 6.0 in a bad shape, but working, and I have built a new vcsa 6.5.

Misreading the instructions in vCenter Migration Utility (KB2136) I incorrectly added the ESXi hosts to the new vCenter before I ran the Veeam.Backup.VmMigrator.exe preparemigrationtask command...

When trying to update MoRef ID's the migration tool gives does not update anything, get this message in console (no log is written).

Warning: Already have BObject for this target VM (name: vm1, reference: vm-263). Line ignored: vm-263 vm1 0702025a-0e8a-4c01-b9e3-0eio996ba67daa -> vm-438 vm1

Obviously, re-adding resources via new vCenter, one job got from 40 GB to 3 TB.

Opened a support case, and the lady told me to just start on a new backup chain. We have 80 TB of backup data in Veeam...

What are my options at this point?
- Do I have any chance of getting this to work in current chain? (Like, is it possiblt to update the Veeam SQL DB with MoRef and keep the backup chain intact?)
- I do have a new repository (where I test ReFS) - should I start entirely new jobs against that repo? Disk space might be sufficient. (The lady in support said I could not restore from old backups, but the made a note after closing the case that I might, so I guess I should not at least write over my current jobs. )

Other options?

Thanks

Ps. case id 02477206 Ds.

Edit: Formatting and support case information.
BLWL
Enthusiast
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Bjorn L

Re: Migrated to new vCenter did not go well

Post by BLWL » 1 person likes this post

EDIT: Oppurtunity knocked. Solved it like this: We actually had disk space to re-create all the backup jobs. It was the backup copy jobs volumes that were full. Now all new backup copy jobs are stored on the new repository and will be placed on a third site we have. All jobs are now setup with Tags and managed to clean up and consolidate jobs. Started out bad, but this became a win. 8)
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Migrated to new vCenter did not go well

Post by DGrinev »

Good job! I am glad you've nailed it even with the bad start.
Thank you for following up!
Please take a look at existing discussion, it might be useful information for the future migrations.