Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
briggs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan Thompson

Next backup repository specification - HELP

Post by briggs »

Hi all. OK, so I know that since forever, NAS devices have not been the recommended solution for your backup repository. But in my case, I needed capacity, without the cost, so a 6-bay QNAP with 4TB hard disks in it was a best fit for budget solution.
Now I need to replace this, and I need some advice from the real world.

We have a 3-host VMWare infrastructure. The disk appliance is direct attached (12Gb SAS) and is a DELL SCv2020. There is not enough free space on that box to use that, otherwise that would be ideal. I could add disks to the SCv2020, but at £1000 each (they're all SSD) for 1TB, I'm going to spend serious money and not get the capacity I need.

So, the simple option is find another NAS with 6 or more bays, stick in the best disks I can find for the money, and backup to it over iSCSI. But the alternative of a physical server, or disk appliance, is supposed to be far more efficient - right? My budget is not very impressive for this, less than £5K for sure, ideally around £3k so I can afford to get an archive appliance too for longer term retention.

My Veeam server is a VM by the way, running on the same hardware as all servers it sits with.

Thanks in advance, Alan
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Re: Next backup repository specification - HELP

Post by Iain_Green »

Could you try a Dl380 loaded with 1.2tb disks, should you about 20tb after raid, then when you can afford extra attach a D3700 to it and fill with more disks.
Many thanks

Iain Green
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

Why wuold you have to add SSD disks? Adding some SATA or SAS spinning disks should be possible without too much issue, however if that's your main SAN then putting your backups on it isn't really ideal anyway. I'd agree with Iain, in the Dell world something like a R740xd would be a great option, although probably won't be in that budget. You could try a much lighter server (R230 etc) with a MD1200 shelf but you'll still probably striggle budget wise
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Alan, take a look at this thread, might give you some hints. Thanks.