Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DGrinev
Veeam Software
Liked: 166 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup System for Veeam

Post by DGrinev » Aug 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi Gareth and welcome to the community!

You can find recommendations in this thread regarding backup storage.
Also, you can review existing discussion about Synology with VBR 9.5. Thanks

ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Post by ITP-Stan » Sep 26, 2017 7:22 am

Forget about syncing Veam backup files in the cloud with Synology cloud features. Unless your data is very small and your upload speed is huge, it won't work good.
The Synology NAS devices, are really good devices with a very nice and easy interface, but when you put your backup files on there (using iSCSI or CIFS) you will only use it as a means of storage and you need to appoint a server (or the B&R server itself) as the Data Mover.

A server (not antique) with a decent RAID controller and a bunch of disks in RAID 5 will out perform a Synology RS816 for sure. You just have to configure the RAID, partition for OS and backup storage and install Windows. That's it. In Veeam B&R console you just add the created server as a backup repository.

So my 2 cents, Synology devices are great for storing your backups, but an old(er) server (not antique) will have more performance, and you can use that server as Data Mover and perhaps as Proxy in Network backup mode.

jamerson
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Julien

[MERGED] VEEAM offsite repros

Post by jamerson » Nov 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Dear All,
We are willing to buy a NAS in order to have our backups of the VMwares to,
i would like to know your experience with NAS if they works fine with VEEAM .
We advies our Customer to buy the ENT licenties of VEEAM which is already purchased.
Thank you for your advise.

westcamp
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Hardware Recommendations

Post by westcamp » Nov 29, 2018 7:49 pm

First, thanks in advance for advice on this. I work at a small business but we are going to be backing up ~130-150 workstations and servers using Veeam. Mostly standalone, but some Hyper-V as well. Overall, I've budgeted ~200TB of raw data for this project based on RAID 10 and forecasting out over the next 5 years or so of growth.

I'm looking at 3 different hardware options and wanted to get some suggestions or feedback on what I should go with.

Option 1: NAS Solution
I'd have to dig a little deeper as to which brand to go with, but whether Synology, ReadyNAS, QNAP, etc. basically a Linux based on-board NAS with 200+TB of on-board raw storage.

Option 2: All-in-One solution running Windows 2016. (Supermicro 5049P-E1CR45L 4U)
This option puts a full server and 45 + 2 drive bays all together to supply me with more than enough storage (40x6TB drives RAID 10,2x1TB SSD RAID1 for OS) running Win Server 2016. The inside hardware I'm looking at would be a Xeon Gold 6126, 128GB RAM, and a Supermicro AOM-S3008M-L8-P SAS 3.0 12Gb/s 8-port Host Bus Adapter. My only concern with Supermicro's solution is, I can't tell if it's on a hardware or software RAID controller. This device is Veeam repository ready per Veeam's website.

Option 3: Two separate devices using a server and a JBOD. (Dell R430 and SDJ-846BEC-JBOD 4U 24-bay SAS 12G JBOD)
The final option I'm looking at has a full server and a separate JBOD that will directly connect with each other running Win Server 2016 to store the backup data on-site. This would use 24x10TB drives on the JBOD, with the server using 2 x Xeon E5 2620's, 128GB RAM, using a LSI SAS 9300-8e 8-port external SAS3 HBA connecting to a Broadcom MegaRAID 9380-8e 8-port external SAS3 RAID Controller card.

From what I've read in the forums previously, Option 1 is probably not my most ideal solution. The downside to being a SMB is I'm on a limited but fair IT budget for this project, meaning I should have a sufficient budget to do this using any of the methods above, but I don't have enough to screw it up and go back to ask for more, so I'm really looking forward to your opinions and advice on what solution would be best.

PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 395 times

[MERGED] Re: Hardware Recommendations

Post by PTide » Nov 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi and welcome aboard : )

First of all, it's not quite clear whether you're asking for recommendations on storage (as it might seem from your option-1), or on all Veeam components placement (implied by the "All-in-One" in option-2), or both (option-3). would you clarify that a little bit, please? Until then it is hard to tell for sure what'd be the best for you, but I would suggest to use two separate servers - one acting as a primary repository, and another one serving as a secondary backup repository to keep copies of your backups.
That is, keeping all backups one one server is not really a good thing - imagine if one day it decides to give up the ghost...

Also please check this best practices guide for some insights.

Thanks!

westcamp
Novice

[MERGED] Re: Hardware Recommendations

Post by westcamp » Nov 29, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. So right now, I have Veeam running on my Hyper-V server, and backing up to an additional storage drive on our Primary Domain Controller. I'm wanting to get that off of our Primary Domain Controller and onto something that is more standalone and add-on the rest of our computers as physical backups.

So this is for the primary backup, which is phase 1 of implementation. After this is done, phase 2 will be figuring out whether to do a second storage repository or managed cloud repository based with some/all of our systems depending on how critical they are.

PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 395 times

Post by PTide » Nov 29, 2018 10:46 pm

I've merged your post into the existing discussion on the subject, please take a look.

Regarding this:
My only concern with Supermicro's solution is, I can't tell if it's on a hardware or software RAID controller. This device is Veeam repository ready per Veeam's website.
As far as I can see from their specification, it's SW.

Thanks

nmdange
Expert
Liked: 91 times

Re: [MERGED] Hardware Recommendations

Post by nmdange » Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm

westcamp wrote:
Nov 29, 2018 7:49 pm
Option 2: All-in-One solution running Windows 2016. (Supermicro 5049P-E1CR45L 4U)
This option puts a full server and 45 + 2 drive bays all together to supply me with more than enough storage (40x6TB drives RAID 10,2x1TB SSD RAID1 for OS) running Win Server 2016. The inside hardware I'm looking at would be a Xeon Gold 6126, 128GB RAM, and a Supermicro AOM-S3008M-L8-P SAS 3.0 12Gb/s 8-port Host Bus Adapter. My only concern with Supermicro's solution is, I can't tell if it's on a hardware or software RAID controller. This device is Veeam repository ready per Veeam's website.
You want the E1CR45H, not the E1CR45L, which comes with a Broadcom 3108 hardware RAID controller (so no HBA required). Our current backup repository is a SuperStorage 6049P-E1CR36H + SC847E1C-R1K28JBOD. I prefer that option since you avoid the top-loading drive bays. If you plan on using ReFS I would suggest doing 256GB of RAM. Also, I find RAID 60 a good alternative to RAID 10 for better space efficiency, and I've never had a performance issue with our system.

m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » Dec 03, 2018 9:31 am

Dell is releasing a PowerEdge R740XD2 that offer 24 3,5'' bays in a 2U chassis

Cheers, ciao

westcamp
Novice

Post by westcamp » Dec 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you both for the information! I'm revising option 2 to the model you listed with 256GB RAM. And it's good to know Dell is coming out with a similar type of option.

Thank you!

JayP
Lurker
Full Name: Justin Huntington

[MERGED] H800/MD1200 vs Internal SAS disks

Post by JayP » Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi. I am building a new backup server for Veeam B&R. Currently using an old Dell PE with 20TB of internal SATA storage.

New build will have 2x 8c Intel CPU's with HT, 192Gb RAM :) 2x Enterprise SSD's for OS but need some advice on the additional backup storage.

Currently its a toss up between going for internal 12x 4TB NL SAS using the internal H710
or
Dell MD1200 also utilising 12x 4TB NL SAS running on an additional H800/810.

Pros and Cons would be massively appreciated. Thank you kind people!

Kind regards