Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
heavy
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Thomas Müller

Can the Veeam Agent port 6183 be changed?

Post by heavy »

Hi there,

i have a setup with 4 physical Exchange Machines that are supposed to be backed with Veeam Agent for Windows.

I just had to reboot one of those and Veeam Agent service did not start because some Exchange (MSExchangeHMWorker.exe) service took port 6183 before Veeam could get it. On the next reboot Exchange IMAP wanted to use this port. Those services take random ports for what i observe, my exchange test lab uses ports in the 6600-7000 range.

I remember i had the same problem on a SQL machine with the windows print spooler taking port 6183 which i could solve by forcing Spooler to start delayed. I don't wnat to take this option as the next cumulative update of Exchange will probably change the services back to automatic anyways.

So, can i change Veeams port via a reg key or similar? Any other ideas on this?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Can the Veeam Agent port 6183 be changed?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Thomas,

Yes you can change it through registry. There is an entire explanation here: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/rpc-service ... 31114.html

Note that you will need to search a bit as some people are reporting that Exchange (I believe it started from CU4) seems to be sometimes taking 6183 and 6184 (and maybe even further) so look at your exchange servers and see what ports are being used

Cheers, and let us know if it worked

Mike