Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mcrape
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

Changing computer name after installing

Post by mcrape »

Hi all - I came across a scenario which gave me some grief, that I though I would share. I installed Office 365 on a new machine, but I changed the server name after reboot. This resulted in failures to connect to both the proxy and the repository as Veeam Backup for MS O365 was looking for the server with the old name. I can't add a new Proxy using something like localhost as the server name, as it detects the components are already installed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, however the settings remained. I ended up having to uninstall and renaming the C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365 folder and then reinstalling. I'm not sure if there would be an easier way to fix, but figured I would bring this up.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Changing computer name after installing

Post by Mike Resseler »

Matt,

That is a good question. Not sure how this could be easier solved. I doubt this is a scenario we tested :-). I will check internally if we have a better idea to fix this.
mcrape
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

Post by mcrape »

I forgot to add that I tried putting the old computer in the hosts file as an alias to localhost. My thought was that I might be able to uninstall it, but that didn't seem to do the trick either. Maybe a reboot was required, I'm not sure.
kevz0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KA

Post by kevz0r »

I know this post is from a while ago but it saved me. I tried everything you tried as well as searching the registry and a reboot - which didn't work either.

The only solution is renaming the C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365 folder.

Thanks Matt
compconsult
Service Provider
Full Name: CCP Support Team

Post by compconsult »

Mike Resseler wrote:Matt,

That is a good question. Not sure how this could be easier solved. I doubt this is a scenario we tested :-). I will check internally if we have a better idea to fix this.
While probably super unsupported at the moment, you can actually edit the "Proxies" table in the config.edb (I had to write a small C# app using Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop because I was desperate) and it's working for new and old jobs.

Wouldn't recommend it, and the app isn't ever going to be useful/released - Just thought I'd pipe up and say "It's possible if you are determined enough" :P
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm, that is tricky @compconsult but it probably is indeed working. I'll take this further to our engineering teams and hopefully they don't tell me that you broke some stuff... ;-)
compconsult
Service Provider

Post by compconsult »

I like breaking things (or pulling them apart) - It's how I learn cool stuff.

I spend half my life building/reading databases, and everything looks like it's referenced by a GUID which hasn't been changed - So odds are good I'm OK. It's been running fine for a few days (ignoring a different issue with the proxy db that I also fixed) and I even added a new organisation today and that backup went exactly where I expected it to. I can also load all points in time from chains that existed before the alteration, and everywhere I can find any reference to anything in the DB I can't see how it'd break anything.

I'm just about to actually *move* the database to a new server (same path) so I'll be happy to report back here, or anywhere else for that matter, if they want more details on what I'm doing.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

One thing I can tell you is that they were surprised of what you did (in a positive way :-)). For now they haven't requested for more details but if they do I will find you ;-)

Please keep reporting back, we are learning valuable "lessons" also :-)
compconsult
Service Provider

Post by compconsult »

So, moving computers works too. They're in the same domain so authentication isn't an issue, though odds are I'd probably be able to figure that one out too if it came to it.

The downside of moving computers is there's 2 things that break (easy fix):
  • Need to re-install/re-generate the API certificate
  • Need to re-enter all the credentials for each organisation due to probably encryption keys
What I've gathered is that if you leave the Id columns alone, it seems relatively safe to edit things like the Proxies table and change the Host, MachineName and Identity columns. I'd expect Path in the Repositories table to be reasonably safe too as the jobs all reference Id (Which is a GUID). From some more poking, there's also a Repositories XML file in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365 and a Repositories table in the ProxyDB too - So you'd probably want all those lining up and pointing at the same things, otherwise things are likely to go bang! :twisted:

Obviously, proceed at your own risk, but I feel comfortable enough doing these sorts of things - which is why I thought I'd try.
---

Edit: I just noticed this "11. If a Windows machine hosting backup proxy was renamed, this proxy will have the Offline status displayed in the management console. To work around, in the management console remove this proxy from the infrastructure configuration, then configure this proxy anew, targeting at the machine with its new name. Associated repositories will be preserved."

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=15

It didn't work that way for me :( I wish it was that easy. This *may* however still apply if there's more than one backup proxy in use in an environment.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

For the probably encryption keys... That is correct. We secure the logininformation with a computer certificate so if you move, it means that the credentials cannot be retrieved anymore from the database. Therefore you need to re-enter them
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

So @compconsult,

The dev's and QC team confirmed that your method was ok. To be more specific:

1. Rename and reboot the host.
2. Stop VBO Server service.
3. Go to VBO Server host and open %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup365\ConfigDB\config.edb
4. Locate renamed proxy in Proxies table. Rename values: Host -> new_hostname, MachineName -> new_FQDN, Identity -> DOMAINNAME\COMPUTERNAME$
5. Save ConfigDB.
6. Start VBO Server service.

But we don't advise someone to do this as you need to be able to open the config.edb.

As said, we will look into making this a better experience but for now please contact support ;-)
compconsult
Service Provider

Post by compconsult »

Mike Resseler wrote:So @compconsult,

1.Rename and reboot the host.
2.Stop VBO Server service.
3.Go to VBO Server host and open %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup365\ConfigDB\config.edb
4.Locate renamed proxy in Proxies table. Rename values: Host -> new_hostname, MachineName -> new_FQDN, Identity -> DOMAINNAME\COMPUTERNAME$
5.Save ConfigDB.
6.Start VBO Server service.

But we don't advise someone to do this as you need to be able to open the config.edb.

As said, we will look into making this a better experience but for now please contact support ;-)
Thanks Mike :). Contacting support is definitely the right choice for people.

I'm just a thrill seeker.
eazy
Service Provider
Full Name: Ralf Schwarzmaier

Post by eazy » 1 person likes this post

Mike Resseler wrote: Apr 13, 2018 5:15 am So @compconsult,

1. Rename and reboot the host.
2. Stop VBO Server service.
3. Go to VBO Server host and open %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup365\ConfigDB\config.edb
4. Locate renamed proxy in Proxies table. Rename values: Host -> new_hostname, MachineName -> new_FQDN, Identity -> DOMAINNAME\COMPUTERNAME$
5. Save ConfigDB.
6. Start VBO Server service.

Hi,
thanks for those informations, but with which tool are you editing the config.edb?
Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ralf

This approach was shared 5 years ago.
Such Tools can be found with a simple google search. We use simple Jet Database files. There are many editors available.

I recommend to open a support case and ask them if they have the tools for doing such change.
When done by yourself, our support maybe won't provide any help in case you are running into issues.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
kirderf
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Fredrik Kristensen

Post by kirderf »

I just wanted to add that I have been in contact with support asking if they can provide a tool to edit the Jet-DB file. They were unfortunately unable to do so. The only solution they have to change hostname is the one found in KB4296.
I have also tried googled for a tool myself, but I only find Jet-DB viewers.

The support engineer will submit an internal feature request, so hopefully an easier solution will come at some point in the future. :)

Support case number is 07098290
IT adviser
Data Center Operations
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Just saw this in Reddit. Might help? https://www.reddit.com/r/Veeam/comments ... 65_config/
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello James

This tool is not supported by us. It could break encrypted application registration in the configuration database.
We are aware of the request to have an official method/process to change the hostname. But we don't have any news regarding this request yet.

post509226.html#p509226
Please note, we don't support this type of manipulation of the configuration database.
Changing the hostname in the configuration database could break the encrypted "application registration information" inside the database.
If there is any technical issue related to this change, our support team will not be able to help.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Hey Fabian, thanks for making that clear. I only mentioned it because both a Veeam Mod and Veeam Employee on the subreddit viewed it favorably. The Veeam Mod, as of 2 days ago, planned to test it in his lab. I agree than any official process should be followed, and I would personally review any script that purports to automate the process to ensure it follows said official process AND make sure I have a good DB backup before using it.