Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
briankwok
Novice
Liked: never

import export job

Post by briankwok »

How can I export/import the backup job , I mean the backup job only,not all setting of veeam?

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: import/Export backup job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Brian,

You may import all the backup jobs (it can be done with all the settings only) by following the instructions below:

http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2623

Thank you!
briankwok
Novice

Post by briankwok »

I just want to export the job only, if copy the SQL server db , It will copy everything.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, the only way to import the jobs, is to copy SQL configuration DB. But adding such job management (move jobs between backup hosts) is on our roadmap. We plan to rely on our Enteprise Manager component to achieve this, since all backup hosts already have a connection established to it.

Down the road, due to centralized management this functionality will also help to achieve additional useful capabilities like high availability for backup jobs (automatically moving jobs from failed backup host to another).

Thank you!
athome
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Anders Thome

Export/Import jobs

Post by athome »

[merged]

Hi!

Is there a way to export /import jobs to move them from one veeam-server to another?

athome
cannojr
Lurker

Re: Export/Import jobs

Post by cannojr »

I would like to know this as well
athome
Service Provider

Re: Export/Import jobs

Post by athome »

Just to clearify: I have a physical veeam server and it has too much workload.

And I would like to export the jobs and import 50% of the jobs to one vm and the last 50% of the jobs to another vm.

A
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Job migration between backup servers is not available in version 5, but this functionality is definitely planned for our next releases.
whynotq
Influencer
Full Name: paul whyton

Post by whynotq »

You can remove the job and then import it to the second server, bit clunky but works.
athome
Service Provider

Post by athome »

Ok, but is there any issues renaming a veeam-server? If not I could copy the database to the two servers "import" the database, change name of the server, and clean out the jobs I don't need..

Would that be a workaorund?

A
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I wouldn't recommend doing that, as in case you happen to add those servers to Enterprise Manager, you would get two duplicated database records.

Should more information be required, please have a look at this post: Moving Jobs Between Servers

Thank you!
arsprod
Enthusiast
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

Post by arsprod »

So how do I do this without Enterprise Manager? I need to offload some of my backup to wan site jobs to offsite server because they take so long. If I simply import the jobs I'll lose the existing backup data and these jobs will take days to complete.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Aaron, you could possibly use two separate installations of Enterprise Manager to workaround that. However adding job management functionality is already down the road.
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

that's my point - I don't have enterprise manager, just running standar b&r. I'm not worried about managing the two servers, but I need to duplicate the existing msde database to the new installation. All the posts I've read use enterprise manager to do this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Aaron, you can use Enterprise Manager console with both standard and enterprise versions of Veeam Backup and Replication.

In fact, if you take a closer look at this post, you will notice that copying Veeam Backup SQL configuration database doesn't require Enterprise Manager at all. :wink:
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

oh... yeah!
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple »

I think Job migrations needs to be put quite higher up the list. I have one Veeam server thats too busy and one thats underutilized and I need to balance them out..as it is, its gonig to be a huge PITA to do this...
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

agreed! My way around this was just duplicating the job (with a different name) on the new server, disabling the original (but don't delete the backups) running the new one long enough to get a week's worth, and then deleting the old job and backups. If you have the storage space it works. Still a PITA!
RJI
Service Provider
Full Name: Richard Ihmels

Post by RJI »

Did this fuctionality make it into v6? I can see how to copy jobs on the same server but not between servers. If it isn't available in Enterprise Manager can it be done via Power Shell?

Richard
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Pretty much anything at all can be done in PowerShell ;) try posting in the corresponding subforum, and you may get some help from other community members on that!
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

Switching jobs between servers can be a little tricky as the GUIDs will be different. Would take a lot of ref-id searching to match all the data up but it is definitely possible.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

What is the use case for importing/exporting jobs between server? Sounds like you do not need multiple servers in the first place, if you toss around jobs between them.
Sethbartlett
Veteran

Post by Sethbartlett »

Big use case I could see is consolidating many B&R 5 servers to 1-2 B&R 6 Servers. I'm guessing others can come up with some ideas that I couldn't even imagine too :)
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
OmiFreak
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Bernd Flatz

Post by OmiFreak »

Yes Sethbartlett is right:
Many B&R 5 servers with local SQL-express database in our branch offices,
now I want to consolidate this to our B&R 6 server in the headquarters and have only proxy's in the branch offices.
How can I move the jobs from the branch offices to the headquarters without losing the existing backup chain?
Creating a new job is no solution, because of disk space and existing replication (rsync) jobs.

Regards,
bernd
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Bernd, I'm afraid there's no way to prevent the jobs from decomissioned v5 servers to be recreated anew and rerun a full backup (please see the detailed procedure on upgrading from multiple v5 servers in this thread).

Regarding the rsync replication jobs, you will have to edit them in any case, as v6 introduces new architecture with backup repositories where backups are stored in subfolders for each job.
Sethbartlett
Veteran

Post by Sethbartlett »

@OMiFreak You can actually kind of do what you want to do. What you may be able to do is upgrade all the boxes to 6, run them all at least once to get the VBM metadata created. Then on your "central" box, add all the repositories you need for the location of your backup files and right click on the repositories and do "Scan repository" so it imports the backup data. From here, you could create fresh jobs, add the VMs in the job and then use the "Map backup" process to map the correct backups.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

But you cannot map backup files across backup servers - a known limitation with v6.
OmiFreak
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Bernd Flatz

Post by OmiFreak »

But you cannot map backup files across backup servers - a known limitation with v6.
So should the manual from Sethbartlett work or not?

Thanks, bernd
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mapping into backup files created by different Veeam Backup server is not supported.
alex_ilie
Influencer
Full Name: Alexandru Ilie

Transfer the bakcup jobs

Post by alex_ilie »

[merged]

Hi. Is it possible to transfer the backup jobs from one server to another? I am not talking about the backup files, just the job itself, the wan we see in the JOBS section. Somenting like Export job / Import job. Thank you!