Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Jimbo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Nowotny

Re-install still show old jobs

Post by Jimbo »

I installed VAM and configured the backup. First couple of days my target did not have enough space and error-ed out. I fixed that but wanted to start over. So I uninstalled and even clean up left over crap. But when I re-install the old backup runs still show in the VAM control panel. I have tried a number of things, clean up of the registry, ProgramData, Comman Files, even some log files in the Users\AppData. No matter what, when I re-install it shows the old backup runs.

How can I start with a truly clean re-install?

Jim...
Jimbo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Nowotny

Re: Re-install still show old jobs

Post by Jimbo »

I figured it out. To really do an uninstall you need to delete the database directory which is located:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\VeeamEndPoint

The entire uninstall process could use some cleanup. I don't know if it is intentional but the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows\ManagedMode

has a null at the end and makes for a real PIA to delete.

Jim...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Jim,

Glad you figured it out. Is everything now working as intended? We also have a registry key to force the recreation of the database if you want to start with a clean setup.
For info:

1. stop service
2. execute regedit. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\ and make a new DWORD value recreatedatabase=1
3. restart service
4. delete previously created value
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Post by jamcool » 1 person likes this post

This was a life saver for me. The Veeam Agent was our on our Windows server image and was deployed. Each time I would configure the backup, the job in Veeam Backup and Replication console would change to the new server's name indicating that there was some unique ID it was keeping. I had tried uninstalling Veeam, uninstall all the SQL, deleting what I could in registry and using command prompt (administrator mode) to delete files in various locations for Veeam (Systemrofile, c:\program files\Veeam), c:\programdata\veeam, etc.). Nothing worked. I did recreatedatabase registry entry above and it worked. I noticed it changed it automatically back to 0 after restarting the service so did not have to do step 4. Thank you very much for posting this. It made my day. :D