Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ghilou
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

FLR : restoring to another location?

Post by ghilou »

Is it possible to restore to another location using FLR?

It is actually a very common usecase in my organisation. For Physical servers with Veeam agent, the goal would be to have a stand by machine with the network stack configured in another subnet, where you would want to restore a single db backup file and restore the database. Or restoring files from last production backup to a training VM to make it up to date.

Most backup tools support this nativelly, and event agent less, there is no technical reason for Veeam not to. However it doesn't seem to be a supported feature.

It is so prevalent that my colleagues are starting to think of Veeam as a subpar solution because it can't do "that simple thing" that we rely on a lot.

I'm aware that i can extract files from a backup to any workstation, and copy files from here (or use the FLR appliance's FTP when applicable) but i'm looking for a more streamlined process.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: FLR : restoring to another location?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

I'm a bit confused with your post as restoring VM guest OS files is possible to any location, original and new. See this help center page > Step 6. Save Restored Files

Thank you!
pizzim13
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

[MERGED] Multi-OS FLR on a different subnet

Post by pizzim13 »

Has anyone every tried setting the ip address of the Multi-OS FLR appliance to one that is not on the same subnet as the Veeam infrastructure? For me, it fails with

"Failed to mount restore point.
Unable to connect by SSH to appliance.
Failed to login to host: '10.X.X.X', port: 22, user: 'root', elevation to root: 'no', autoSudo: no, auth type: 'Password', host name: , IPs: [10.X.X.X].
Unable to establish connection to host 10.X.X.X on any IP address.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

Using putty from the Veeam server I can successfully log into the appliance. From there I can navigate the directories of the VMs mounted file system. Running a continuous netstat I do not see Veeam making any attempt at connecting to the FLR appliance. All of this works without issue when the FLR appliance is on the same subnet as the rest of Veeam.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

[MERGED] Re: Multi-OS FLR on a different subnet

Post by PTide »

Hi,

FLR helper-appliance has to be deployed in the same network where the backup server resides.

Thanks
pizzim13
Enthusiast

Post by pizzim13 »

Do you know why this is? Is there any way to change this behavior? As mentioned above
Using putty from the Veeam server I can successfully log into the appliance. From there I can navigate the directories of the VMs mounted file system.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Not only VBR server has to have connection to the appliance, but also the server where you have mount service started. If vPower NFS service is started on some other server than VBR, then you have to make sure that there is a route from the mount server to the appliance.

Thanks
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

Hi,

So how do you use FLR if your backing up multlipe environment?

We have a customer HyperV environment that we wish to use FLR for but as the BR server is not on the same network it fails. So far the only way I can see it working is creating a network that the hyprv can share with the BR server.. this seems a little extreme??
Many thanks

Iain Green
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Iain, can you place the FLR appliance on the customer's network and configure routing to allow access to it from the backup server?
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green » 1 person likes this post

Hi Foggy,

Well, we used the below link to identify the required ports, the customer provided the VLAN id and an IP address available in the network.
Networks confirmed the required ports are open between customers network and the backup network (for the backup server and all proxies)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... 95#multios

However when I deploy the FLR I just get an error message stating the backup server and FLR can not communicate (i get no confirmation to confirm if the FLR was even deployed?) .
Networks monitored the FWs and the only thing they see is some pings.
Many thanks

Iain Green
pizzim13
Enthusiast

Post by pizzim13 »

This has been my experience also. Veeam has access to the network but will timeout connecting to the appliance. I have verified that appliance is fully functional and the disks are mounted by connecting to it with SSH. I make that SSH connection from the Veeam server using Putty before Veeam tears down the appliance.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

pizzim13,

Would you provide a little bit more details on your setup? I mean, where does the repostiory host reside, does it hold a role of mount proxy as well, where do you start VBR console to start FLR from, and where is your VBR server located?

Iain,

That might be a silly question, but is there actually a route from VBR to FLR? Also would you answer the same questions that I've asked pizzim13 please?

Thanks
saskuzo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Firmin Sassou KUZO

[MERGED] Failed to mount restaure point.

Post by saskuzo »

Hello
I haved perform veeam Backup and Replication V10. And Backup a Virtual Machine on Vmware/ Vsphère. My customer asked me to recover just a file. During the restauration I have this error. "Failed to mount restaure point. Unable to connect by SSH to appliance"
Which IP_adress may give to the appliance?
Thank
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi,

We've moved your post to the existing topic with the discussions on this issue.
Please check you have run FLR from the same network where Backup server is located.

Thanks!