Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Missing PCs in backup copy

Post by Anguel »

Hi!

I created a backup copy job that copies my Veeam Agent backups (coming from several physical PCs) from my main repository to a secondary repository on a Synology NAS.
The copy job is configured to run every 7 days at 1:30 AM.
Allowed transfer time is only on Sunday (full day) so that during the weekdays I can attach a USB drive to my Synology, then an auto-copy of the backups folder occurs and I can take the USB drive offsite.
Restore points to keep is set to the minimum, i.e. 2 to save space on the Synology and on the USB drive.

This Sunday the copy job ran for the first time but I noticed that Veeam has not copied all PCs from my main repository. It looks like there are 3 PCs (notebooks) that had not been attached to the network for a couple of days.
Veeam displays "No up-to-date restore points available" for these 3 PCs in the copy job status and unfortunately those 3 PCs do not appear under "Backups - Disk (copy)" for the job at all. So it looks like they are not present on the Synology at all.

Is this expected and how can I make sure that I have the latest available restore points for all PCs to take offsite?

Thanks in advance,

Anguel
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Missing PCs in backup copy

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Anguel,

The backup copy job was designed to deliver only the most recent state of VMs during each run, so you can be sure you have it if the recent job was successful.
Please can you check the repository if there are any backup files for those 3 PCs\Laptops? Thanks!
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

In the main repository "Backups - Disk - Agents" there are 15 restore points for each of those 3 PCs but in the new repository "Backups - Disk (copy) - DiskStation Weekly Copy of Endpoints" these 3 PCs are missing completely.
BTW, I had to recreate the DiskStation repository because I had to repoint it to a new subdirectory on the Synology but then I also repointed the job correctly to the new repository. I hope that Veeam did not mess up things and now thinks that it has already copied the old restore points for the 3 PCs. I think it should notice that these are missing in the new repository.
Or will Veeam wait for the 7 days to pass until it copies the old restore points? For some reason the status for the 3 PCs is still "Pending" and the details says "No up-to-date restore points available".
I find everything so confusing. Or should I completely recreate the job?
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

According to this documentation page:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
and this thread
veeam-backup-replication-f2/pending-bac ... 17854.html
it looks like the copy job does not pick up older restore points, i.e. outside the defined copy interval.

If this is really the case there is definitely a need for an option like "Always copy the latest available restore point". Otherwise I don't see a way to get a copy of restore points for laptops that have not been connected to the network for a longer time. Reading through other threads I bet that there are many customers who don't understand this complex copy job behavior and believe to have everything in their offsite copy but in reality complete PCs are missing.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,
Anguel wrote:it looks like the copy job does not pick up older restore points, i.e. outside the defined copy interval.
That's correct, if you set interval ("copy every") to 7 days, the backup copy job will look up for available restore points not older than 7 days during the initial run. Thanks!
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

I can confirm that I had to set the interval to 30 days and now Veeam finally "saw" the "old" restore points for the 3 PCs and copied them. However, this is a very strange workaround I think...
Again, I have to emphasize that I don't like this behavior at all - IMHO in backup copy jobs Veeam just sits there an "hopes" that some future restore points will arrive and there is no option to tell it to just copy what is actually there, even if it is older it is a valid backup which might save you. But with this behavior it will be missing completely if you don't look very very carefully.
There should be definitely an option to copy older restore points even outside the interval on copy job creation, or at least some big warning that restore points older than X days will be completely ignored. Sorry but I still can't believe that this is expected behavior somehow...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, you need to keep interval in mind when you create a backup copy with several source jobs that have different schedule. It wasn't designed to be more frequent than the source backup job anyway (no sense, nothing to copy).