Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
y1008946
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Planned Failover to Replicas

Post by y1008946 »

Hi, we have a failover plan for our print server and I have carried out a failover test, it correctly powered off the production VM and started up the print server at the DR site (with the correct re-IP too).

We have three DNS servers, two on the production site and one on the DR site. All three are linked, updating one will update the other two.

What the planned fail over didn't do though, was alter the DNS servers so that the A record for our print server was updated.

The print server IP at the production site it is 192.168.254.57 and at the DR site it is 10.11.12.57

Is it our job to go in and change the the A records manually in the DNS servers in a planned failover?

If that is the case that is fine, I just wanted to clarify this point.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Planned Failover to Replicas

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Yes, that's expected behavior, the reason why is that the VM at the DR site has received a new MAC address.
So, feel free to manually change the records in the DNS servers. Thanks!
y1008946
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by y1008946 »

Thanks thats great, there wouldn't be too many to do, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a trick.

I would like to failover to our print server at the DR site and test users printing to it from the production site for a day, then fail back.

Is planned failover the best way?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Yes, that's the best way to test the said scenario and if something goes wrong, you are able to switch back to the production VM with minimum interrupting in operation. Thanks!