Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
krismason@
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kris Mason

1 server failing

Post by krismason@ »

Hi All,

1 server failing with endpoint.

Error: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to write data to the file [\\1.1.1.1\VEEAM\x\Backup_Job_x\Backup_Job_x.vib]. Failed to download disk. Reconnectable protocol device was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Kris
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: 1 server failing

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Kris,
Welcome to the forums!
Is this connecting to a B&R Repository in a remote location? Is there a firewall between the source machine and the backup destination, it could be a port being blocked. Also, its best practice to use the Endpoint Control Panel, click the Support tab and open a case with Veeam directly through there. Let us a know a bit more about your configuration and go ahead and open the case. Don't forget to post the case ID in this thread so the Veeam team can track it.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also If you have any other Veeam Endpoint Backup pointed to the same location, please compare the connection settings between these installations, as it clearly is a connectivity issue.
krismason@
Novice

Post by krismason@ »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick reply

- the REPO is a local NAS - 14 other servers back up to it without issue
- there is no firewall, all servers are on same subnet running same antivirus
- this server is a hyperV machine and there are other HyperV machines backing up to the same repo without issue

Thanks for the advise I will log the issue with Veeam support.

What details can I provide you about my configuration? Cheers :)

When you say connection settings Vitaliy - can you ellaborate? two machines compared - same hyperV host, same AV, same IP range/vlan...

Thanks

Kris
krismason@
Novice

Post by krismason@ »

Case ID: 01840045
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If the firewall configuration and all other settings is the same, then another possible reason for this issue is the load on the NAS box. For example, if all jobs start writing data at the same time, then there could be some issues in regards to parallel tasks processing of the NAS box. Just a wild guess.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Good idea. In separate topic backup job fails just because of the NAS box firmware (which was a QNAP btw) due somewhat limitations of concurrent writing streams.
krismason@
Novice

Post by krismason@ »

Thats exactly my scenario! thanks guys - I am also using a QNAP
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, in this case try to follow the recommendations from the post above and lets us know if that helps or not. Thanks!
krismason@
Novice

Post by krismason@ » 1 person likes this post

This was caused by the QNAP SMB bug - moved to iSCSI now resolved - thanks for the help guys!
adinfotech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex

[MERGED] Re: 1 server failing

Post by adinfotech »

I submitted support case 01965206 for this issue.

Attempting to back up Dell PowerEdge R720xd running Windows 2012 to QNAP NAS repository via Veam Backup and Replication. The server has approximately 2.5TB of data. This is the first error when the backup job is about 50% complete:
Error: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to write data to the file [\\VeaamBackupAndRecoveryRepository\Backup_Job_ServerName\Backup_Job_ServerName-10-30T004054.vbk]. Failed to download disk. Reconnectable protocol device was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
If I run the backup job again, it fails with the following error:
Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to create or open file [\\VeaamBackupAndRecoveryRepository\Backup_Job_ServerName\Backup_Job_ServerName-012016-10-30T004054.vbk].
Job has been stopped with failures. Name: [Backup Job ServerName], JobId: [2279d04d-8660-42e6-af91-1cd174c56fd8] Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to create or open file [\\VeaamBackupAndRecoveryRepository\Backup_Job_ServerName\Backup_Job_ServerName-012016-10-30T004054.vbk].
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

What is set to be a gateway server for this repository (assuming it's added like CIFS)? Also check the Limit maximum concurrent tasks option value.

Bennon Maina
Novice
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Bennon Maina

Post by Bennon Maina »

Alright, had the same issue with Windows Agents backup to an SMB Share.
I had migrated the backup files (windows copy) to a new location but the backup job still failed with this error:
16/03/2018 10:52:10 :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Storage not initialized. Failed to download disk.

It turns out to be the .VBM file which stores information about the VM/Node being backed up. I had to retrieve it from the previous destination (a QNAP share with Network Recycle Bin enabled), copied it to the new location and boom!
Backup with CBT ran without any issues.

Hope this helps your situation :D .
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bennon.

VBM file is required to perfrom the recovery as it contains critical information such as disk layout metadata. Thanks for sharing!